Takin' Out The Trash

As a newbie to this group and newsgroups in general, imagine my surprise when, after looking at several legitimate "inspirations," I click on one only to have degenerative filth splash across my screen. Fortunately my family, although in the same room, were otherwise occupied.

I guess my first reaction was a normal one. Who would do such a thing? Why? What is the motivation? How can it be stopped? It was apparent that appeals to reason, maturity, shame or basic human dignity would be to no avail as the lack of any of these qualities was self-evident. I looked around at how others here dealt with it and found mostly a "acknowledge them and it gets worse, maybe if we ignore them they will go away" attitude. I've seen a few other posts lamenting that "resistance is futile." That if one is blocked, they find a new way in or that another will take his place. In a way they are like moths, mindlessly battering themselves against the patio door until they find their way in, only to batter them selves against the hot bulb in the lamp. Yes, you can get up to swat them but you risk breaking the lamp or destroying the shade. Turn off the lamp and they fly to the TV screen. Simply a minor annoyance, It is moths doing what moths do.

I decided to follow the crowd and just ignore them and be very careful what I click on. There is no reason to brick up the door just because a bug gets in every now and then. This dealt with the issue in a practical way but left the more esoteric questions still “bugging” me. After a little pondering I have reached a conclusion that is satisfactory at least to me.

Much as the old question “Would we know joy, were it not for sorrow?” every aspect of our lives can be measured against some scale. In art, from the daubing of the worst amateur to Renoir; in music, from Chopsticks to Chopin, our faith, our hope, our charity, our ethics, our self discipline, our aspirations, our craftsmanship, our love for fellow man all fall somewhere on our personal scale.

Not that this is any great revelation to any thinking person. We all know who occupies the top of our individual scales, those who we admire and aspire to emulate. What I never considered before, in keeping my eyes on the target, the top of the scale, is that there must be a bottom somewhere. Looking now, I see that the bottom is much lower than I ever dreamed imaginable. To see it held so low with such pride and determination is totally foreign to me. I can’t imagine anyone so willing and eager to occupy such a place, yet I guess there is a need in the Grand Design for someone to grip that zero point defiantly and pull backwards with all his might.

In conclusion, I guess we owe these guys a little gratitude along with our pity and general disgust. I for one, having seen the bottom now feel a little better about myself and about most of my fellow men. In a strange sort of way, by setting what is good and beautiful into sharper relief, even their base actions serve to glorify the Creator. But lest we become vain and proud we should remember, we all look like them to HIM! The vilest being on the earth can become the purest and greatest in His hands. We are commanded to love all men.

The “Big Picture’ is a little more complete and I am again at peace with the world.

Reply to
Sparky

It amazes me that RIAA can track down 12 year old girls downloading music on the net but nobody can stop these guys.

Reply to
Gfretwell

:-)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Warrant.

They're doing something illegal. Our all-caps types are merely offensive.

Reply to
George

If there was money in it, they'd be tracked down and in court...

Reply to
George

Court, hell.

I'd be willing to pay a few bucks for each troll positively identified and found with 10 broken fingers.

There are some I've seen that would (IMO) rate termination for the good of human kind.

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Please, they must follow the LAW. That requires a bit more than "Greg is offended" to get past that fourth amendment stuff.

Reply to
George

4th amendment? I don't think a warrantless search is in order. Do you mean 1st amendment? If you were talking about an 8th amendment violation it wasn't me who suggested "defingering" the defendant.
Reply to
Gfretwell