Tail vise or twin screw vise?

Well I've pretty well finished the carcas of my new workbench and will be starting the bench top right away. I had planned on a regular fron vise and a tail vise but I'm now thinking about trading in the tail vise for the Veritas twin screw vise that was suggested in this months Tools and Shop. Anybody have any thoghts on the perfect vise combination for my soon to be perfect bench.

Reply to
Norm Edelmann

I used the twin screw vise from Veritas on the tail and the Jergenson on the front. Happy with them.

Reply to
Bill

: I'd say the tail vise is great for narrow bench tops and the twin screw makes : more sense for the wider top. Good Luck on your decision.

: David

That is an extremely good observation. Never thought of that.

It really is application driven. If your type of work is large carcases or big frames, then the twin screw tail vise is probably the best choice.

But if you are into chairs and end tables ..i.e. small stuff then the width of the twin screw is kind of a waste.

--- Gregg

My woodworking projects:

of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

FAQ with photos:

"Improvise, adapt, overcome." snipped-for-privacy@head-cfa.harvard.edu Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics Phone: (617) 496-1558

Reply to
Gregg Germain

I think you're going to find far more responces from "Twin Screw" owners because its a great solution while the tail vise is usually more complex.

I chose a traditional tail vise for the challenge and the retro look, plus I think Tage Frid is pretty cool. :) It was a confidence builder and I was really glad when it was done!!! There are more elaborate tail vise screw kits than the one I used which include slide mechanisms they make the construction of a tail vise much easier and are capable of greater clamping pressure.

I'd say the tail vise is great for narrow bench tops and the twin screw makes more sense for the wider top. Good Luck on your decision.

David

Reply to
Bannerstone

There is also the possibility to use a quick action tail vise: Build a large version of a wooden cam clamp (like those in

the jaw part lage enough to accept a dog hole, mount at the narrow end of the bench and you are ready to go: I built such a cam vise from baltic birch plywood in about one hour, using a square steel tube as bar and am very satisfied with the result, epecially at practically zero cost.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Make the jaw part lage enough to accept a dog hole, mount at the

Reply to
Dave W

Comes below.

> Make the jaw part lage enough to accept a dog hole, mount at the

D D

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel