Tagua Nuts

Their meat is a beautiful substitute for ivory, but it's incredibly hard and I suspect that metalworking techniques are more appropriate than woodworking ones. Does anyone have any links to web sites that discuss techniques for working them or know of any books that discuss them? TIA Norm

I've cut them on the band saw and turned them on the lathe with no problem..
My problem with them is that you need a HUGE one to do much with because by nature they're discolored through about 1/2 the nut and they usually have a brown line running through them, where the net folds, or whatever..
About the only thing I've done with them that I liked was knobs for turned boxes..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Are there any dangers of them having voids or other flaws that would cause them to fail catastrophically while turning?

I've seen them with voids and had failures. But wouldn't call the failures catastrophic. Catastrophic is the nine inch bowl failing and taking a piece of your scalp. Tagua nuts are just too small, IF you are wearing a face shield.
snipped-for-privacy@hadenough.com says...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p2719&cat=1,250,43217

Good pictures...
Sort of shows how you have to take slices from between the skin and the center, as the center is unusable, at least for anything that I do..
Dick Sing used them in a few of his pen books, but usually for small trim or bands..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

I guess you'd have to define "catastrophically"... lol I have stuff drop off or self destruct fairly often but usually they just fall on the lathe bed or floor...
I guess you could be at a bad angle and catch a void.. My experience with them is that by the time you trim it down to "turnable material" it has too little mass to do any damage..
Hopefully, the ones that my wife bought were smaller and inferior to others available, but it wasn't a good experience..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Thanks (and to the other answers to my query as well. My definition was along the lines of having the nut fly apart with parts having sufficient velocity to do damage. Sounds like failure occurs, but not such that it is dangerous if one is appropriately attired.

Sort of like a pen blank splitting and possibly coming off the brass tube.. It might be turning at a very high RPM but has almost no mass..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Will someone please cut through the tension and post the comical response to all these great leads-ins like...
Nuts... their meat is beautiful. incredibly hard websites that discuss techniques for working on them I've cut them on a bandsaw you need a HUGE one they're discolored etc.

At least there is someone here with a sense of humor when it comes to some of the posts

Come on, you must have just made up that user name to respond to this post... Walnut lover!

I'd love to, but I'm busy wiping coffee off my monitor (again).

No, I'm a frayed knot.
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:43:53 -0800, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

..as the actress said to the bishop.

..as the actress said to the bishop.

..as the actress said to the bishop.

..as the actress said to the bishop.

Now that you get the idea, fill in the blanks for yourself :-)

HTH.