Tabletop use - waterlox or rockhard varnish?

What would you guys use - satin Waterlox or Behlen's rockhard tabletop varnish?
Hydrocote Resistane
--
Rumpty

Given the amount of information you've provided, the only real answer can be: "it depends".
:-)
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 22:35:24 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@his.com (Ladd Morse) wrote:

Yeah, you're right. This is a 3' x 5' kitchen table. Daily use. Lots of clean up.

I'm almost done finishing my new white oak kitchen table with Waterlox Original (medium sheen). I did weeks of book and internet reading on finishes and decided that Waterlox seemed to have a good blend of durability, repairability, ease of application and "non-plastic"-looking appearance. It purportedly can be rubbed out to a high gloss or rubbed back to a matte finish after it has fully cured.
It's my understanding that any of the poly varnishes might produce a harder finish, but fixing future scratches or chips will be significantly more difficult than with Waterlox (or any other finish in its category).
Flexner's book compares the two types; perhaps you can get it from the library. If not, it's a wonderful value for $12.
Certainly other folks here have more direct experience than I, but so far I'm pleased that my decision to go the Waterlox route is turning out nicely.
If you have not already done so, a Google search of both web and newsgroups will turn up lots of info and opinions.
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 23:05:50 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@his.com (Ladd Morse) wrote:

Yep. Lot's of opinions. Thanks for your help.

No.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:01:12 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net (Lawrence Wasserman) wrote:

What do you mean, "no". Could you elaborate please?