Tablesaw under-blade light?

Page 2 of 2

OK my light came on now, rereading fixture vs. bulb.

So are you thinking that the light will not defuse after passing through the insert? And, will you not still have to lean over to see the light shining on the wood?
snip..

snip..
snip..
you guyz are totally missing the obvious.
what you need is one 'o them laser loaded saw washers....

Those are not designed for table saws. You don't want a laser light shooting out of the table where you might look into it. A laser can blind you permanently.
Bob

hell, I close my eyes whenever I use my tablesaw anyways.
Can't stand the sight of blood.
snip

snip
I first line up my eye to both the leading and trailing edges of the apropriate side of the blade (the teeth, not the body of the blade) and then, without moving my head, adjust the mark on the piece to line up. All this with one eye closed. I don't see the problem with paralax. I get cuts right where I want them...
Bob Davis, thanks for the pics in abpw, cool guard. Am I right, the sides pivot up independently with the top remaining stationary? Much better & simpler design than I've seen before! Ever considered/tried connecting dust collection to the top? Seems I get too much dust, what with a zero clearance plate.
,

That's exactly how it works. The sides were stolen from the factory blade guard and simply bolted to a wide 1/2" thick piece of Lexan. The whole gizmo is connected to a counterweighted sliding beam that hangs from the ceiling. The articulating sides handle all kinds of evils. For example, cutting a 1" wide strip with the left side of the guard fully down and the right side fully up to clear the fence.

I'll be posting my solution to dust collecting pretty soon. Yes I had dust collection on this guard and it worked pretty well for ripping. But I encountered too many situations where I could not use it effectively (crosscutting, using a GRRipper, using Grip-tites, using Tenon Jig, etc.). I decoupled dust collection from the guard - watch for my pictures.
Bob
Sun, Oct 24, 2004, 5:23pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com has been dreaming again, and says: It occurred to me <snip>
Never heard of such, but I suppose.
But, I think if I needed extra light, a flashlight would be enough.
JOAT When you choose an action, you choose the consequences. - Unknown

Appears to be a good idea. It was in the shop hints section of FWW many years back. Some reader wrote in suggesting it. Think he used a plain old 40 watt with a switch. I'd worry about a dust explosion myself. -Rick