Tablesaw Question

Page 1 of 2
I'm in the market for a table saw and based on an old Craftsman I had I want to buy a quality unit with a good fence but since it's mostly for hobby work I don't want to spend a fortune. I would prefer to stay in the $1000 - 15000 range so I'm looking for a good used saw. I will use it mostly for ripping and dados but would like to build some cabinets as well. I ran across a 2 hp Jet with a HTC Biesemer clone fence and Osborne miter and extension table for $650. He calls it a cabinet saw but I believe it would be classed as a hybrid. The price is tempting but I wonder if I would find myself regretting it like I did the Craftsman. Would you guys think I would be happy with this saw for my use or should I keep looking for something better ( I'm really not in a big hurry since I haven't even run power to my new shop yet)? Thanks - look forward to your comments.
You can get an awful lot of saw for $15,000.
jc

Guess that would cover a pretty broad range. LOL Guess my trigger finger got a little itchy.

If your limit is $1500 you can get a new Grizzly cabinet saw for that price range. $650 for a hybrid in good shape with 2 hp is also a decent deal. I wonder why he is getting rid of the saw? The fence will be good, I have had issues with a miter gauge upgrade when I, for a very short, time owned the Osborne miter gauge. IIRC Osborn no longer sells that triangular gauge. Delta sells a copy version of it and may have even bought the rights to the gauge. Basically the gauge has problems with holding a ridged 45 degree setting when the telescoping adjustment rod is extended to the farthest 45 degree setting. The telescoping bar can be wiggled back and forth and that causes the fence to move a few degrees. Anyway even with out the miter gauge the $650 sounds decent. If you think that you will increase your usage and want to buy your last saw, this may not be the saw for you. A true cabinet saw is going to satisfy most any ones needs for a very long time. A true cabinet saw is going to require a 220 volt receptacle.
On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 08:18:41 -0600, "Leon"

Divorce is forcing the sale of his house so he's liquidating his shop. Apparently you feel the fence would be good? That was my biggest complaint with the Craftsman - never would line up straight. Can you expound on your "increased usage" comment as this is my concern - will it be a saw that I will be satisfied with from now on? I doubt I'll ever reach the point of mass producing anything - just hobby construction of shelving, cabinets, cutting boards, lawn chairs, boxes etc. 220 is not a problem. I appreciate your in-depth comments.

I had a 1hp Craftsman for about 17 years and had tweaked it to the max so to speak. It had the Jet Biese clone and that was a remarkable improvement but when I up graded to a true cabinet saw nothing could be blamed on the saw any more. The cabinet saws are rock solid and produce great results providing they are properly tuned to start with. Hybrids have not been around long enough to know how long they will actually last. They are not built as robust where the trunion is concerned. I set my new cabinet saw up about 8 years ago and it sets on a mobile base. I move it in and out every time that I use it and to this day has never had to be readjusted.
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 05:39:53 GMT, "Leon"

I never tried to upgrade mine because another problem was keeping the pulley on. You'd be in the middle of a cut and suddenly the blade would stop and you would hear the pulley flying across the shop floor. I tried everything short of welding it and it would never stay on. I was glad to get rid of that piece of junk. I think I'll stick to my original plan of buying a good quality cabinet saw even though the savings are tempting. A lighter duty saw would probably do everything I want it to do but why take the chance. Give the kids more to fight over when I'm gone anyway. :-)

The only regret I have about purchasing my cabinet saw is that I spent 14 years cursing my contractor saw before I upgraded. Maybe those 14 years weren't wasted because I appreciate the quality of my cabinet saw a lot more than I would have if I'd started out with it.
DonkeyHody "There's a difference between doing things right and doing the right things."

Yup, hone your skills on the contractors saw and enjoy those skills when the cabinet saw is no longer a factor to be reckoned with.
On Mar 8, 7:53am, tom(REMOVE) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (Tom) wrote:

Try looking at the Steel City line of Table Saws. I picked up the 1.75 HP Cabinet saw and am VERY happy with it. They have a 3 HP Cabinet close to your upper limit. Their mail in rebates are ending at the end of this month FYI.
On Mar 8, 8:53 am, tom(REMOVE) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (Tom) wrote:

My budget was similar to yours and I bought a new Powermatic 64A with a 52" table. The "A" stands for artisan, but that's a another way to say "contractor's saw." The saw comes with a lot of features you'd want in a Powermatic cabinet saw without the Powermatic cabinet price. I'll never stand a nickel on its edge while the saw is running, but that desire never drove my purchasing decision. The saw ships wired for a 15 amp line but it can be rewired for more power. Just a thought.
Jeff
(Tom) wrote:

IMHO, "It's the fence stupid", to paraphrase J Carvelle in the 1992 election, applies.
Most anything works for the saw, but it's the fence that rules.
I have a Unifence, think it is the best thing since sliced bread.
Others have a different opinion of what is a good fence, however, a good fence still rules.
Plan to operate at 240V if you truly want to take advantage of the saw's capabilities.
Have fun looking.
Lew
On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 11:18:12 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

I agree. I hated the fence on my Craftsman - had to move a tape to front and rear of the blade while SLOWLY tightening the clamp or else it would get cockeyed. Don't know much about the HTC but is supposed to be a Biesemeyer clone. Any opinions?

My only experience with the HTC was to play with one in the Woodcraft store. Seemed like it was as sturdy and accurate as the Bies. I love my Bies and I think you'll like the HTC as much.
"tom (REMOVE) (Tom)" wrote:

I already gave you the only opinion I'm qualified to give<G>.
Don't know doo doo about Biesemeyer.
Lew
REMOVE Tom wrote:

I have the Jet branded HTC-900 Commercial fence with the micro-adjuster which Jet sold/sells as an option for their saws as a "Deluxe" fence.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyIDa60
It's a great fence.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
tom(REMOVE) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (Tom) writes:

I have the Jet cabinet saw with the (I believe) HTC fence. One of the nice features of this fence is the ability to pop off the standard fence and place a custom fence on it with a few taps of a rubber mallet.
I've made a few - with a slot that runs all the way down, that holds a featherboard or two. I like this, and normally have this fence installed.
On Mar 8, 8:53 am, tom(REMOVE) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (Tom) wrote:

I have the 3HP Steel City Hybrid table saw. It's not a bad saw but I wince every time I hear the squeaky contractor saw quality raising/lowering gears (which I have taken completely apart and graphited until I'm the color of a pencil lead) and every time I turn on the saw and listen to the squeal of the single ribbed drive belt (which SC Customer service says is normal). I wince when I realize that for the money I paid I could have purchased a Grizzly cabinet saw with 3 3 drive belts and heavy trunnions.
On Mar 8, 7:53am, tom(REMOVE) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (Tom) wrote:

If you can spend about $1,565. you can get a gen-u-wine factory reconditioned Unisaw with a brand new Biesemeyer fence delivered to your door. See http://www.redmond-machinery.com/table_saws_reconditioned.htm I never found any evidence that mine was ever used at all.
DonkeyHody "Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."
On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 18:21:25 -0800 (PST), DonkeyHody

That's worth looking at - thanks for the lead.