Tablesaw push stick?

Does anyone know where I could find a pattern for a tablesaw push stick on the web that is comfortable to use? Regards. -Guy

Reply to
Guy LaRochelle

you GOTTA be kidding!!

Now the rest of you guys here have an inkling of why I started the "Isn't relying on someone else's plans ..." thread back in August of last year???

sigh...

dave

Guy LaRochelle wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

in other words.... "I'm too freaking lazy to search the internet myself"...

Should you be running power tools?

Reply to
Rod

I designed one very similar to yours.. except that my handle extends forward more so that I have more leverage on downward pressure to prevent lifting.

Reply to
Leon

Everyone has different ideas about what's comfortable/safe, and that might well change with the task. I have made many different styles down through the years and settled on one that is comfortable for most rips (picture on the website below, Fixtures and Jigs page ... just one look at it will allow you to copy it, and be my guest.) YMMV.

Reply to
Swingman

There is a couple samples here.

Ray

Sounds like we may be of the same school when it comes to controlling possible kickback situations by judicious force instead of ducking. ;>) It's been a pretty comfortable design for me ... I can get a surprising amount of leverage just by rotating my wrist downwards without moving my hand.

Reply to
Swingman

here's what I do:

take a triangle of plywood. the last few I have made were the cutoff from corner cabinets, but you could easily make your own triangles . a right triangle with sides of about 12 to 16 inches will be about right. get out your most comfortable fitting handsaw, the one that you can cut for hours with without getting blisters. lay the triangle on the bench with the saw on top of it, with the spine of the saw about parallel to one of the 90 degree sides. trace around the saw handle. cut the line, sand round over and add a notch at the bottom to push the board with.

I like that when holding this your fingers are curled up out of the way.

Reply to
Bridger

Pics on ABPW

-- SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Reply to
SwampBug

Thanks..........to the guys who gave me a freindly response.

Some responded to the fact that I should do a search myself.........well I did that before putting the question on the group. I didn't like anything I saw...........every site wanted to sell me something and I was just looking for something different than the pattern I have from my Delta unisaw manual. I thought this is what the group was for. If I can't use it for that I will just unsubscribe. Personally, I think it is people like Rod who should unsubscribe or just read and keep the fingers off the keyboard. There is many times I read threads on newsgroups and would like to answer the way he did but I just keep it to myself. Again.................thankyou to the people who responded in a helpful manner. Regards. -Guy

Reply to
Guy LaRochelle

Excellent idea! Thanks. Regards. -Guy

Reply to
Guy LaRochelle

Ah yes, very similar to _my_ push stick stick.

I would say that yours is more Nahm inspired Functional, with a pleasing touch of Arts and Crafts inspired Utility, but definitely created in a "shop" and therefore more bourgeois... while mine has more of the graceful curves of a Maloof inspired, "studio created" piece, more appropriate for adding dignity to what would be an otherwise vulgar operation.

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
Matt Zach

I had an plastic snow brush for my car which had a really comfortable curve to the handle. It was the kind of handle which nestled firmly but gracefully in the hand, making the tool an extension of one's inner self.

So I laid it on top of a piece of 3/4 pine scrap, traced it with a pencil, cut it out on the bandsaw, rounded the edges with a rasp and some 60-grit sandpaper, and put a notch in the end. I suppose you might call it "Nouveau K-Mart".

I do like a nice glass of well-aged bourgeois with dinner, but only if I'm done using power tools for the day.

Reply to
Roy Smith

Lay the cat down flat on some plywood and draw round it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Sheesh. Read the whole thread and not one mention of dead cats. Thought for sure that this was an obvious straight line for some of the screwballs out there. Tom, are the photos of the contest entrants still out there somewhere? mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Yeah, look in the Harbor Freight catalog for the grey plastic pushstick and make one like it. Or just buy a couple three for $1.50 each.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

Guy:

It's not the question but how you ask it. If you had stated that you did a search and couldn't find anything you probably wouldn't have not have gotten the responses you did. Next time give a little more background to your question.

Reply to
Mike

Some pretty awesome projects you've completed. Great workmanship and finishing. GREAT style!

Don't get me started on your shop - to say it's fantastic is an understatement! It's obivious you've put a considerable amount of thought and work into it - BYW, do you heat it in the winter? How?

Very nice set-up -

Nick B

Reply to
Nick Bozovich