Tablesaw Power, Vintage Query

Folks -

OK, a couple of questions - all things equal, do any of you have feedback re

3 or 5 hp?? I don't regularly cut anything over 6/4, if that, and was wondering if the extra power is worth the money or additional risk of a more powerful kickback, should that ever happen...

Also, do any of you have any recommendations for websites for used saws that are for sale on the West coast? I don't know if there are "sweet spots" for particular versions of saws (unisaw and powermatic 66) but would like to learn more. I wouldn't mind buying an older saw if I found a good one.

Any recommendations, websites or arcane information on older saws and my power query would be appreciated.

TIA,

John Moorhead Lakeport, CA

Reply to
john moorhead

My Unisaw is fitted up with a single horsie R/I motor. It does the trick for me.

For a Unisaw it's pretty much everything from 1939 to

1974ish. I'm particularly fond of the mid-50's to mid/late 60's. If you insist on having a three horse you'll have to settle for something from the very late 60's forward. Prior to that Unisaws have a oval motor hole and the recommended fix is to butcher the side of the saw. This of course causes a rather nasty variety of dripping syphilis and will make you gay (of the raging queen type/think Christopher Lowell) and isn't recommended. There is research going on presently by a couple of OWWM members on making newer motors fit the older openings. Has to do with cutting the wiring box down, maybe some other stuff too. I don't pay attention too much to it onna 'count of I don't need to.

Try the OWWM?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:46:27 -0500, Unisaw A100 Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

snip

roflmao

ok keeter,,,pass me some windex and a paper towel,,,my monitor is soaked!

*BSEG*

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock