Tablesaw polish

My cast iron tablesaw is in need of some serious refinishing. Three years of using it as a workbench has taken it's toll -scratches, stains, etc. I know I can wax and polish it so that everything slides, but I'm wondering what type of abrasive will put a nice finish on it. Anyone done a refinish with good results?
TIA
Dennis

"Sandflex" blocks, a rubberized abrasive, works real well on stains and rust... it's a brand name and you can usually get them at Rockler or WoodCraft. They can be used dry, or with a lubricant. So far I've yet to find anything that works better with less effort.
That said, any effort to take anything but miniscule scratches out may leave you with and undesirable, non-flat top, so go carefully.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

"loutent" wrote in message

You don't really want silicon _anywhere_ on your table saw top.
It's not "blotching" that silicon causes, but fisheye, which is caused by the silicon reducing the surface tension of the sealer coat over the contaminated area, resulting in a round crater(s) in the finish that resembles, what else ... a fisheye. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Wayne Cattanach wrote:

Camellia oil is indeed what is used on Japanese swords. I got my first bottle of it in my first sword kit and since then I've been buying it in pints for use on other tools. It's a beautiful, light oil that smells good too.
Japan Woodworker carries it, and a believe places like Highland Hardware and Woodcraft do also.
--RC
--RC

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:51:44 -0400, "Wayne Cattanach"

Don't trust "Camellia Oil" on a sword. Modern camellia oil is a fish oil, with camellia essence added. It's not bad for woodworking tools, I use a lot of it myself. It's not "archival grade" for fine sword use though and it won't last for really long term storage without oxidising.
It's a good oil for hot-oil bluing of steels - as are most fish oils, and especially whale oils.
Genuine camellia oil is available (Chinese herbalists, traditional Japanese hairdressers), but the pH looks suspect for metal preservation.
Take a barbecue lantern on a pole (cheapest UK source of thick bamboo), saw off a few inches around a septum and make yourself an oil pot, just like you describe. Mine lives on the benchtop and I use it a lot. If you try to buy thick bamboo from a garden centre, they break out the internal septa before shipping it, supposedly to avoid water pooling and possible mosquito transmission.
--
Smert' spamionam

Andy Dingley wrote:

me saw and get some fresh......
[...]

how does one recognize the true camelia oil? From the advertisement of the stuff sold by Dick i assume that that is the true stuff.
On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:20:27 +0200, Juergen Hannappel

If it's for sale, it's not the genune stuff.
WD-40 does NOT contain silicone.

Are you implying that WD-40 contains silicone? Their web-site explicitly disclaims that: http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_faqs.html
Or is there another reason why WD-40 might have an adverse effect if used on tools that contact wood?
/rick.
On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 12:28:17 -0400, "RickS" <rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net> wrote:

lubricant... which of the above would you want on your wood projects?
I think, therefor I am... or at least I think that I am?
Mac
Buy a can of Slip-It.
wrote...

Renee Decartes walked into a bar. The bartender says, "Mr. Decartes, would you like a drink?"
Decartes said, "I think not," and he disappeared.

Often rendered as:
"I think I think, therefore I am -- I think!"

Scotch Brite pads under the velcro pad of a ROS.
Barry