tablesaw outfeed

Page 3 of 3
Pat Barber wrote...

oh...
no, guess not. *sigh*
ok, just one...Is it possible that the huge vortex of negative pressure that formed over your shop last January there is still affecting the weather here? It suddenly got cold and windy outside. (G)
Cheers!
Jim
My biggest home run to date...
You gotta go to a LOT of turkey shoots to finally get the big one.
Jim Wilson wrote:

Unisaw A100 wrote...

ROFL! Get out the nomex skivvies! The defenders of the throne are coming!!
Jim
My unisaw came with an outfeed table, but I couldn't use it for 2 reasons: 1) the Unisaw is on a mobile base, and 2) in my small shop, I have the saw up against the garage door, opening it as needed to rip long stuff. Plus I have a dust port coming out the back of the saw.
I wanted to make it folding, hanging off of the saw so it moved around on the mobile w/o problem. One problem with making it hinging was it's HEAVY.
So what I did is cut about a foot off of the saw end of the outfeed table and bolt it to the saw, into and on top of the rear fence rail. This is how it's supposed to go. I then cut about 5" off the remaining piece. It was now short enough so when hanging down off of the fixed piece, it cleared the dust port. A piano hinge provided support. I bolted a sturdy cleat across the rear of the saw cabinet and had a 45% brace going from the cleat up to the fixed piece of outfeed table about every 10". This made the fixed part sturdy enough to handle the weight of hanging part.
The back legs are hinged, and held against the hanging part when it's in the down position by magnets, and there is a magnet which hold the hanging part against the saw cabinet to keep it from bumping around.
Works great.
Jim
Mine is not heavy but rather long.... Here is a picture of mine fully extended... It is 98" from the front edge of table saw to end of outfeed.
This is a slightly modified version of a torsion box design shown in FWW a few issues back in the spring.
The saw is 34-350 12"/14" Tilting Arbor table saw.(1966 model)
http://home.att.net/~mboceanside/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-639331.html