Tablesaw motor questions

Hi Folks,
I have a Dewalt DW746 tablesaw and the other day the motor quit. There was no burning smell or anything of that nature. The motor is a single replacable unit but I'd prefer to figure out what happened. This has a single phase 1.75HP (allegedly) TEFC motor with a start capacitor and a run capacitor. The motor shaft spins freely by hand and I've blown sawdust out and checked the switch. Nowhere in the Dewalt user documentation or on their tech support website can I find any information about diagnosing the problem, or rewiring the saw for 220V operation for that matter. In any case, if anybody here can point me to a place where a woodworker with a simple VOM and not much electrical knowledge can go for more information, I'd certainly appreciate it. This sort of slows me down a good bit on finishing projects. Thanks in advance.
Joseph Crowe wrote:
> I have a Dewalt DW746 tablesaw and the other day > the motor quit. There was no burning smell or anything > of that nature.
First thing to check is the centrifugal switch mechanism.
Does the motor hum when you turn it on, but not rotate?
If so, remove blade, then turn motor on and spin the shaft by hand.
If motor runs, clean out and or replace centrifugal switch mechanism which will require motor disassembly.
Care must be used to avoid brinelling the ball bearings when disassembling and reassembling motor.
Lew
Joseph Crowe wrote:

Upon further inspection of the wiring attached to the switch, I found the culprit. I simply snipped the wire leads, directly connected them via wire nuts, plugged it into an external switched extension cord and fired it up.....I'm glad for the simple things and apologize for the interruption of your regularly scheduled discussion.

I simply snipped the wire

Now go out and get a switch with motor-rated contacts or be prepared to make switches a regular part of your maintenance schedule.
You _are_ mounting your temporary fix where you can turn it off instantly, right?
George wrote:

I actually rewired the switch correctly with new connectors. I will be looking, however, for a better switch than that which came with the unit. The temporary fix was only to determine the functionality, as I would not operate the saw in that manner. Tablesaws are dangerous enough without jury rigged electrical connections.