Table Top Question

My neighbor would like me to build a table for her. She showed me picture of one from Europe that she wants me to copy and turn from square into rectangular.

The top is what has me wondering. Imagine a doughnut shaped top with a hole in the center holding a ceramic tile. The four sides are composed of trapezoids joined at the corners of the table by 45 degree angles. My question is - can this be made out of solid wood (maple ~1.5") thick? The photo she showed me looks exactly like it is solid wood and not a vennered/MDF combo. If all four sides are joined with splines (big ones) and the 45 degree angle joint is the same length on each side, then would the stresses be equal across the joint and the table top would stay together? Anyone out here made such a beast and have any tips?

Brook

Reply to
Vermind

I'd bet that it's not in fact solid wood. Euros do a lot of veneer table tops, especially the type you described. Since wood expands more acrossed the grain than with the grain, if it were solid wood it would either pull or push itself apart or dip or bow in the middle.

Have posted an image to a.b.p.w showing the two possible grain orientation, each with what would happen if the wood expanded or contracted - more acrossed the grain and less with the grain. If it's solid wood, it will expand and contract as humidity and temperature changes in its environment

I'd pass on this one.

charlie b

(tried sending this to you but address bounced or my mail server's acting up)

Reply to
charlie b