Table top mounting method that allows for seasonal wood movement - have a favorite??

I'm building a mission style coffee table with the table top approx. 22" X 48". (qtr sawn white oak).
I've seen a couple method that allow for seasonal movement of the top:
1. Method one is to use cleats on the rails with the middle mounting hole screwed tight into the underside of the top with two more elongated mounting holes screwed in loose.
2. Method two is to cut a kerf on the inside of the rails and use metal z clips to secure the top.
What method is preferred or is there an even better method?
TIA
Maybe not "better", but another option: Figure 8 table top fasteners
http://www.woodworkersshop.com/Tabletop_and_Figure_8_Fasteners.htm
FWIW, I've used them on quite a few table tops the past few years and, unless I am trying to be precisely and historically accurate, they have become one of my favorite methods.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

I prefer method 2. I use the biscuit joiner to cut the slots for the clips in the skirt.
Lee Valley has some elongated washers that can be used, too.
scott