Table Saws, plus....

Page 1 of 2
In lieu of the recent issues concerning non-Sawstop table saws, some institutions are replacing their table saws, the local tech school being one of them. Here is another school that is replacing their non- Sawstop table saw - See the Powermatic listing: http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.CatSearch . For those interested, click onto the item for details.
This is not the only saw that has been listed, on this site, this way.... there has been several. For anyone looking for a good table saw, or other tool, this site lists many state govt's assets being sold/auctioned, this way.
It seems not too many folks are aware that these assets are available, since so few bidders participate. And I suspect not too many folks, looking for tools, are aware of this particular govt website. For those of you looking for a tool, etc., here is one way to check out what your state has to offer, i.e., this govdeals website.
Sonny
Sonny wrote:

Ah, memories...
Fifty years ago I was fresh out of college, living in Hawaii and had just started a photographic business. I used to check the local surplus military auctions looking for photo gear I could use. One of the recurring items was "used aircraft sparkplugs" (not many jets then). WTF?? Why would anyone want - let alone buy - used aircraft sparkplugs? Curiosity got the better of me so I got one and had it analyzed; turns out the tip was platinum and tungsten, mostly platinum.
I don't recall exactly how large the auction lots were but they usually went for $10,000-$12,000; about $1.00 per plug IIRC. Knowing the percentage of platinum in a plug I could figure the value of the platinum that could be derived from a normal lot...one would get a 3" cube of pure platinum weighing about 500 ounces and worth about $40,000. In today's money, that $40,000 is about $250,000 so it was a pretty good sum. (Platinum has appreciated, BTW...500 ounces now is worth about $800,000).
There was no problem purifying the electrodes, there were all sorts of smelters in California eager to do so at a relatively modest price. (They were eager enough that they kept phoning me and long distance phone calls weren't chep in those days). There was also no problem selling the platinum; it could be sold via any commoditity broker; it could even be sold for future delivery, if one chose, so there was no risk of a price drop.
There was a minor problem about how to remove the electrodes from 10,000 +- spark plugs but I figured I could always hire a bunch of guys and let them jerk them out with pliers. I'd even provide the pliers :)
The *biggest* problem was that I didn't have the $10,000 or so to win an auction.
Somehow, the idea of quadrupling my money in a month or two appealed to me so I set out to find a moneyman. I ran an ad in the local paper but got only one response. A good one, though, because he was Chinese and the Chinese are generally canny businessmen. Often have $$ too. Took him to lunch, explained how he would double his money in a short time...all the details. He wasn't interested. I even upped his portion, still wasn't interested. I never could understand why, still can't.
Broke my heart. Not to mention trashing my dream of an empire built on sparkplug platinum profits :(
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 10/1/2010 12:21 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Wanna bet he subsequently went into the precious metals business ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

For a zipcode search, the response I kept getting was:
0 locations found within 600 miles of 97526.
Ain't nuttin local to me.
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Salt Lake or LA

650 or 800 miles still ain't local.
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

You live way too close to California, they ain't going to let any thing like that near.

You're closer than me. 900 miles.

Unfortunately, the Saw Stop technology is closing some school's woodworking class. Our local shop was advised by council that they needed to upgrade. Can't afford another dollar hit so they are shutting down instead.
RonB

Unfortunately, the Saw Stop technology is closing some school's woodworking class. Our local shop was advised by council that they needed to upgrade. Can't afford another dollar hit so they are shutting down instead.
RonB
Sounds like some English teachers need to take a cut in pay to finance the new saw.

The listings change. Be patient. Maybe next week, month, year a listing, of interest, will be nearer to you. Seems not all states have listings on this site, though. Zip 97526 is in Oregon... the Oregon State surplus website has several drill presses (federal listing) listed. Also, an institution, having a listing on the govdeals site, may not be listing all their assets, i.e., not govt related. Click onto "their other assets" link, to see what else they may have to offer.
One of my reasons for this posting/thread: Some months ago, Bill (I don't recall his user name, here), from Indiana, posted a link of a table saw being sold at an estate auction. He asked for our opinion of the saw. He didn't win the bid. Since then, I've occasionally scanned several auction sites, to see if there is a saw available in the Indiana area, to post it for him. Hopefully, Bill will see it.... and others, also, wanting to invest in good/reasonable tools.
I've purchased a few tools, via these types of auctions, including several industrial sewing machines for my upholstery. Though I don't need anymore large tools, I still like to "window shop" on these sites.... and maybe spot something that someone like Bill can benefit from.
Sonny
On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 23:41:43 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That seems to be the case. I suspect part of it is the public school mission to educate every child, regardless of ability.
When I went to school (in the dark ages) if a child was extra stupid he/ she flunked and stayed in grade. If a child was exceptionally smart he/ she skipped a grade.
Now the practice seems to be to lower the education level so the stupid can pass (or to pass them regardless) and have "enrichment" classes for the smart. The kids in the middle, the majority, are the ones who get hurt by these policies.
And the practices of our colleges and universities are similar, at least in effect.
I don't have a solution, but I remember a comment in a book called "Memoirs of a Superfluous Man" by Nock. He claimed to be the last generation given a "classical" education and bemoaned the loss of such until a friend pointed out that the vast majority of students were not educable (in the classical sense) they were only trainable.

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

--------------------------- You are in Texas aren't you?
Lew
Yep Lew down here in 'school boy' football land.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 10/2/2010 9:43 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Nope - dump some administrators. That's where the high dollars are spent (uselessly, in the main).
Or do you just hate English teachers?
Steve wrote:

MORE administrators will be needed to monitor, advise, and enforce the rules surrounding the new saw.

How do you measure return? Scores on standardized testing? That just might lead to "teaching to the test," particularly if bone-headed teacher compensation schemes are tided to those results.
"No Child Left Behind*" was NOT an educational intitiative.
*or "No child left unrecruited," as a partion of that package required school systems to forward student information to the military.
said:

How do you measure return? We already have data to tell us how to teach for the best return. Look back to when we were less dissatisfied in the results in our educational system, use that method again. Dumbing down the system so that every one is accepted, dumbs down the country as a whole. The education system that was turning out rocket scientists back in the 50's and 60's seemed to work the best IMHO.
No child left behind is ridiculous. Not all dumb kids can be made smarter but all smart kids can be made to be dumber.
@swbell.dotnet says...

Except that it wasn't turning out rocket scientists, it was turning out Hippies. You have to go back to WWII or before to find a system that was turning out rocket scientists.
The big problem is that we have this attitude that _everybody_, no matter how _stupid_ they are, has to graduate from high school, so high school doesn't mean anything anymore.

Yep. I'm fine with the notion of educating everyone to the limit of his abilities, but not with the notion that everybody can or should be educated to the same level.
On 10/4/2010 9:17 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

England had a Tripartite System where there was a fork in the education road at the "Eleven Plus" exams. Basically, your performance at 11 or 12 years old dictated your suitability for secondary education.
As a result, living and workng in England in the early sixties, it was hard not be impressed with the educational level of the general population in ALL walks of life.
I thought it was a helluva sensible system ... probably went away with political correctness.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010