Table saw tuneup

I have got a Taiwanese saw which has given me 6 years of sterling service. Anyway the cuts have been getting worse with variable widths on a ripped board. Got the urge this morning to do a tune up. Blade alignment was out by 0.3mm but then also found that the arbor end float (left to right) close to 1mm. The saw is now in a hundred pieces. The bearings sound like those old ballbearing roller skates. The end float adjustment is a bit crude, nut and large spring washer. Was thinking of discarding the spring washer and using 'loctite' on the nut instead. Surely easier to adjust and with the right grade the nut will stay put. Other question is will spray chain lube be OK for the rack and pinion gears? Anything else to tune while it is all apart?
TIA
--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions

"Phil Hansen" wrote in message ...
Phil Hansen writes:

How does the Loctite make it easier to adjust?

Spray chain lube should work fine. Otherwise, melt some paste floor wax (water bath or double boiler) and squirt some dry graphite lube into it. Brush that on.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

hold the adjustment without the spring washer. Trying to get the adjustment right with that dirty great spring washer pushing on the bearing and parts of the bearing seal can not be the best idea for end play or bearing life.

--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions