Table saw table smoothness

Page 2 of 2

:> :>
: Yes, stupid woman putting wet things on the table : saw. I always cover it with a piece of cardboard : or she would screw it up on a regular bases.
it's spelled "basis".
And putting cardboard on cast iron is an invitation to rust -- ambient moisture gets into the cardboard, then rust ensues.
Not clear here who's being stupid.
    -- Andy Barss
Greg O wrote:

Yup
I took a belt sander to the top of a 30 yr old cast iron top that was in generally good shape, but darkened with corrosion and one spot that was 'raised' by some rust about the size of a quarter.
The sander quickly brought up a shine and smoothed out the corrosion. I then used an orbital sander to refine the finish. I was in the process of selling the machine but after I saw the top, I thought about keeping it!
As for expensive machines having smoother tops, my General 350 (Canadian made) which supposedly has some 'special' cast iron was very smooth, but did have visible swirls on the surface from grinding or polishing. It did not have any imperfections which could be felt like burrs or pits.
Rob
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:24:43 -0500, Rob Mitchell

My General 650 has swirl marks, but nothing that you can feel when sliding wood across the surface.
Barry
Well, I spent 10-15 minutes going over the whole top, using mineral spirits as suggested. Wow, the light sanding has made a huge difference.
Thanks all.
Mike

Now wax it with what ever your favorite is and the wood will slide by itself! Greg