table saw surface

I am looking for recommendations on how to maintain a cast iron table saw surface. The saw will sit in the garage where dampness is an occasional problem.

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John

Table Guard mfg. by CRC chemicals, can be found at:

The beauty of this product is that it does not have to be removed before use and is innert to wood and it's very slick.

Reply to
Seeker

when you aren't using it on a regular basis spray on Boeshield T-9 (don't wipe off).

when you are using it clean off the residue and apply a paste wax such as SC Johnson's and buff when dry. don't use anything with silicone in it.

dave

John wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

If using the saw and not thinking STORAGE

Clean it good and apply several coats of either Johnson's or BriWax pastewax, OR a commerial table top treament like TopCote

Reapply either treatment frequently John

Reply to
John Crea

John, All those things mentioned by the others will work fine... but here's what I do. I keep a small bottle of Johnson's Baby Powder in the shop and occasionally sprinkle a little on my saw tables, especially after I clean it. I rub it in well and then wipe off all excess. The only difference is that I use my saw almost daily. If it truly will sit for long periods, then a wax or chemical might be better.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence R Horgan

I only had rust on my top once, after I stupidly left a piece of fresh pressure treated lumber sitting on it. What can I say? I was young and stupid. I'm older now and smell bad, but I digress.

I cleaned the rust off with steel wool and WD-40, cleaned the residue off with brake cleaner, and then applied a couple coats of Johnson's Paste Wax. I've never had a bit of rust on it since. Nor have I had to reapply wax all that often.

FWIW, the saw sits in the garage; I live in North Carolina where we have plenty of humidity in the summer.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Why not Silicone based products?

Rich

Reply to
searcher1

The silicon will migrate onto your project. It then buggers up any finish applied. Not good.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Yea.... what he said.

Rich, The only silicon stuff I have in my shop is pure silicon spray that I use for lubrication. I've never bought any Boshield (sp?), SlipIt, or other products for table tops and I've never needed them. Now, on my Inca jointer, I use Watco satin wax because the beds are made of some kind of aluminum. But on my Delta, and on the saw and bandsaw tables, I use baby powder. When I'm stupid and set my coffee cup down on my saw table, and when it spills, and when I don;t get to it right away, I clean up the ring later with a PC 330 vibrating sander and wet/dry paper. Then I blow it off well, and add the baby powder.

We all use what works. I use baby powder. It works.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence R Horgan

Boeshield and Top Cote come to mind as the Wreck's usual answer to this question.

I've got a shiny new one myself. I don't have any of the above stuff, so I'm using Johnson's paste wax on it. I also have a cheap box fan on LO, pointing directly at it, and running 24/7 to keep the air moving and discourage condensation.

So far so good, but only time will tell. Good luck to both of our saws. I'm going to be a sad Silvan if this thing starts to rust.

Reply to
Silvan

Running 24/7 is a bit much. It is only during times of big temperature change or humidity change that will make a difference. Or when you heat the shop after it has sat for a cold week. .

If it ever does rust, Top Saver is fantastic for removal. I put Top Cote on it after cleaning and it has been looking as good as when new. Tried wax, but I did not have great results with it. Maybe I just did not have it on heavy enough or often enough. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski