Table saw surface

Another reason, Turtle Wax (and other automotive waxes, I presume) seems to have water in it. I didn't know this or discover the one post in the archives (several years old) from someone who had the same problem until I'd already made the mistake.
So, here goes...my very first DAMHIKT. (Is it a coincidence that it looks a lot like DAMN IT?)
I applied the Turtle Wax to my brand new saw just after carefully removing the Cosmoline and excitedly admiring the (ooh...aahh) shiny new surface. By the time the wax was ready to buff, EVERY WAX STREAK HAD ALREADY CAUSED A RUST STAIN. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH! Both extension wings as well...
The stains were really stubborn too. Nothing but a Scotchbright and a great deal of muscle faded the rust stains. WD-40 and brake cleaning spray didn't touch it. I worked that table (almost) back to new with pure friction. I have Boeshield on it now, but I'm thinking about going the paste wax route.
Learn from this newbie, don't use car wax!
Tom
Can't be "Bees Wax" as in the walnut oil beeswax mixture for treenware? Made in Holland, MI?

Clemson Dave responds:

Petroleum has squat to do with it. Many, maybe most, car waxes contain silicone, which creates fish-eyes in finishes. Beeswax is actually a tad soft, but if melted and combined with a harder wax--carnauba (sp? George) for instance--it does fine. Check with local beekeepers for beeswax, though. Woodcraft gets 11 bucks a half pound, plus shipping. Beekeepers in my area of VA get from $2 to $4 a pound. You might have to strain it through cheesecloth, but a few bees knees really don't hurt most uses.
Charlie Self "Character is much easier kept than recovered." Thomas Paine

of
cheesecloth,
I don't mind the bees knees anywhere near as much as the bee poop
Mike
The Davenports state:

That's the wax, so I suggest you stick with canning wax.
Charlie Self "Character is much easier kept than recovered." Thomas Paine
Don't eat the honey. That's bee barf.

I have had very good results with a couple of different brands of car wax- both made a big deal on the label about their high percentages of caranauba. both were a bit stiffer to apply and dried a bit harder than furniture or floor wax. neither had silicone. any other petroleum distillates must have evaporated completely enough to not be a problem.
I'd use them again.
    Bridger
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:56:42 -0500, "ClemsonDave"

Any chance you'd be willing to share the brand names? Save an ol' f*rt like me, with bad eyes, the trouble of squinting at 12 cans in Auto Zone? :)!!

one was branded harly. haven't seen that one in a while. the other was meguiar's (or something close to that). it seems to be available at most of the carparts chain stores around here. (autoborg?)     Bridger
Boy this group is tough. Couple of slips of the fingers and get hammered. Petroleum, silicone, the point is be careful with car wax!
yes, it is not a hard wax, but it works well for me. I use it about every other time after using TS/jointer. It does not build up too thick of a film, which I like. It wipes on and off with ease.
The product I use is Briwax, sorry not Beeswax. It is a blend of beeswax and carnouba.
Hey I did not capitalize the 'y' in yes above. Anyone pick that up?
dave

that's 3 demerits....
Bob S.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says... Nothing! my machine is in use for roughly 6 hours a day so it does`nt get rust on it,if not we use a teflon spray,never had problems with finishing after using the older silicon sprays either