Table saw surface

Any chance you'd be willing to share the brand names? Save an ol' f*rt like me, with bad eyes, the trouble of squinting at 12 cans in Auto Zone? :)!!

Reply to
mttt

Boy this group is tough. Couple of slips of the fingers and get hammered. Petroleum, silicone, the point is be careful with car wax!

yes, it is not a hard wax, but it works well for me. I use it about every other time after using TS/jointer. It does not build up too thick of a film, which I like. It wipes on and off with ease.

The product I use is Briwax, sorry not Beeswax. It is a blend of beeswax and carnouba.

Hey I did not capitalize the 'y' in yes above. Anyone pick that up?

dave

Reply to
ClemsonDave

Hope you weren't serious about using silicone on ANY woodworking tools. If it gets onto the wood it will make a hell of a mess if you try to apply finish to the wood

WD40 is not bad for cleaning the cast iron, mineral spirits or kerosene work just as well.

Apply floor paste wax to the clean and now rust free cast iron, and it may take several coats to get it really slick

John

Reply to
John Crea

one was branded harly. haven't seen that one in a while. the other was meguiar's (or something close to that). it seems to be available at most of the carparts chain stores around here. (autoborg?) Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

I don't mind the bees knees anywhere near as much as the bee poop

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

The Davenports state:

That's the wax, so I suggest you stick with canning wax.

Charlie Self "Character is much easier kept than recovered." Thomas Paine

Charlie Self

that's 3 demerits....

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Another reason, Turtle Wax (and other automotive waxes, I presume) seems to have water in it. I didn't know this or discover the one post in the archives (several years old) from someone who had the same problem until I'd already made the mistake.

So, here goes...my very first DAMHIKT. (Is it a coincidence that it looks a lot like DAMN IT?)

I applied the Turtle Wax to my brand new saw just after carefully removing the Cosmoline and excitedly admiring the (ooh...aahh) shiny new surface. By the time the wax was ready to buff, EVERY WAX STREAK HAD ALREADY CAUSED A RUST STAIN. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH! Both extension wings as well...

The stains were really stubborn too. Nothing but a Scotchbright and a great deal of muscle faded the rust stains. WD-40 and brake cleaning spray didn't touch it. I worked that table (almost) back to new with pure friction. I have Boeshield on it now, but I'm thinking about going the paste wax route.

Learn from this newbie, don't use car wax!

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Don't eat the honey. That's bee barf.

Reply to
George

To me, "pate wax" suggests something more like Brill Creme than goose liver.

Reply to
Silvan

Yeah, I guess it would have to be "paté wax" to be goose liver....

Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says... Nothing! my machine is in use for roughly 6 hours a day so it does`nt get rust on it,if not we use a teflon spray,never had problems with finishing after using the older silicon sprays either

Reply to
BP01