Table saw surface

Page 1 of 2
Hi, I would like to know what the "pro's" use to treat/clean the tops of their table saws, jointers, drill press', etc...
I had been told that all I needed to do was to rub wax paper all over the sliding surfaces, but I am not getting the smooth slide that I would expect.
Thanks, Rob
paint thinner if needed, and paste wax. Tony

Periodically I clean the cast iron surfaces of all my equipment with a rag dampened with kerosene. If the rag has too much kero in it, the job turns a bit messy-greasy. Then I wipe the surfaces with a clean dry towel, then use paste wax and buff. The table saw extension (a plastic laminate) just gets a wax and buff treatment. I use the electric auto buffer when I'm feeling lazy.
On 21 Jan 2004 19:19:21 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (avthokie) wrote:

paste wax. rub it on, let it dry for a bit, rub it off.
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:19:21 -0800, avthokie wrote:

Surface rust can be controlled with a light application of WD40. A light spray of silicone will reduce friction.

Sorry C, Totally wrong with the Silicone advice. Silicone will come off on the wood and create all kinds of havoc when trying to apply a finish. Keep silicone away from you wood and your woodworking tools.

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 04:15:55 +0000, Leon wrote:

OK. I have not noticed any problems yet, but I will cease its use. Thanks.
C wrote:

An fuck up your finish.
Sorry 'bout the harsh word but some times it's needed.
UA100
C bogus writes:

WD40 is not a lube and doesn't prevent rust. Silicone causes fish-eyes in finishes. WD40 works great to clean the cosmoline and other grease off the table, after which a coating of Johnson's floor wax keeps major rust from forming. Boeshield works very well too, and is easier to apply. Top Cote is also excellent.
Silicone is any form is anethema in woodworking.
Charlie Self "Character is much easier kept than recovered." Thomas Paine
Anathema/an enema, which is it?
Pate wax to protect, paraffin (canning wax for the blokes) rub for an instant slide. Use the same block you use to lube your fasteners.

George responds:

Either. What kind of pate do you want to use?
Charlie Self "Character is much easier kept than recovered." Thomas Paine
As in chopped, like liver?
I use paraffin/mineral oil.
Spelling good, concept, strange, proofread non-existent.

On 22 Jan 2004 14:55:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

Why are people waxing their goose livers, Chahhhls?
---------------------------------------------------------------- "Let's sing praise to Aphrodite || www.diversify.com She may seem a little flighty, || Full Service Websites but she wears a green gauze nighty, || PHP Applications And she's good enough for me." || SQL Database Development
Larry Jaques wrote:

To me, "pate wax" suggests something more like Brill Creme than goose liver.
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 10:52:29 -0500, Silvan

Yeah, I guess it would have to be "pat wax" to be goose liver....
    Bridger
Hope you weren't serious about using silicone on ANY woodworking tools. If it gets onto the wood it will make a hell of a mess if you try to apply finish to the wood
WD40 is not bad for cleaning the cast iron, mineral spirits or kerosene work just as well.
Apply floor paste wax to the clean and now rust free cast iron, and it may take several coats to get it really slick
John

Get the product made for this. TopCote. Originally intended to make the wood slide easier and as an added benefit will help to prevent rust. It does not need to be removed before using the TS and will not cause finish problems.

I use Topcote and for removing rust I did find a product for removing rust. The product is a green liquid that you apply to the rust area and then use stell wool to polish the area affected. I have been able to restore some minor rust on tools that had been hit by rain when woking outdoors.
Daniel

I see a lot of people suggesting paste wax. Just be careful. Do not use car wax, most contain petroleum - not good for your finish on the wood. I use BeesWax - furniture grade wax. Picked it up at Woodcraft.
dave

Right advice, wrong reason. It's the silicone in car wax that causes the problem.