Table saw suggestions: Delta TS300

I've been looking at table saws and I like the Delta TS300 and I'd like a little feedback before I plunk my money down on this. Any comments on this saw or suggestions for another table saw?

I'm a woodworking newbie. Like to fix stuff around the house when I get a chance. I can't see spending much more for a TS. I've considered cheaper ones but the fences don't seem to align very well at least on the floor models in the store. Seems like that would be a major setback. With a cheaper model do you just use a square to set the rip fence or are the floor models just not set up very well?

oo Mike oo

It is an OK saw, not a great saw. Depends on what you want to do. I had a cheaper saw, now have a better one. Huge difference. If you are going to knock out some shelves, maybe a bookcase, this will do. Birdhouse? This is a great saw. If you want to get into serious furniture making, save up to buy a good contractors saw with a Beisemeyer fence or equal. That will cost in the $700 to $900 range.

Before making your final choice, check out the saws a a place like Woodcraft to see what is available. Think about your goals in woodworking and you can make a better decision.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Just bear in mind one thing I have had to learn the hard way. When you buy a tool it tends to "stick" with you for a long, long time. And when you skimp on the performance and/or quality every time you use the tool it tends to make you both mad that you have to put up with its inadequacies and live it with if for a whole lot longer than you really would otherwise wish. I think you would be well served to follow Ediwn's advice. And last but not least, you are buying with today's needs in mind, but what about tomorrows? It's not exactly an easy thing to do toi upgrade a saw once in place ...

oo Mike oo wrote:

Reply to
DIYGUY

Remember that old saying.

Seldom have I been disappointed in spending to much money on a tool that works well. Often I have been disappointed when I spent to little on a tool that doesn't work well. Or something like that :-)

Reply to
Dan and Melody

don't buy one without checking out the BT3100 at the Home Dopot.. I needed to replace my portable Table saw ( cheap Delta did NOT make it a year) anyway I purchased a Bts20 Ryobi Portable.. GAWD I love this thing...I spent Less than 200 for the portable But the Reviews on the BT3100 are AWSOME!

Reply to
Gregory Jensen

Hi, the Delta TS300 looks to be just like my kaput POS Delta 36-600 that I'm looking for a replacement for. Probably will be buying the Grizzly 1023s come spring. I'd save up more money and look at what grizzly has to offer.

Tony

I hope you don't mind the dust? A good fence is also hard to beat. I had a delta contracters saw for a while, used it in the garage where I could open the doors, pull it outside to let the dust fly. I now have a house with a basement and a dust collection system. You will have piles of dust under this saw and through out the air. Even if all you do is rip a few 2x4's. Just my 2 cents.

Wayne S

oo Mike oo wrote:

Reply to
mail_$"

Delta makes an optional tray to fit under the saw for hookup to a dust collector. It gets 95% of mine.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I recently went through the same thing.

If all you can possibly muster is $300, then it's either the TS300 or the Ryobi BT3100. Don't disregard the Ryobi. Compare the specs and you'll see what I mean. The Ryobi has a huge fan-base also and a great support web site, wish other saws were so lucky.

But, if you could possibly stretch it up to $435, look at the Grizzly

. It's their lowest model, but will still probably be 10x better than the TS300. 1.5HP, Cast-iron top. decent fence (vastly superior to the Delta), machined cast iron motor pulley, T-slotted table, 57" rails are standard (30" ripping capacity), but only stamped steel waffle wings.

Moving up to $525, and again, it's Grizzly

. Mostly the same as the other Griz, but with 2HP motor, solid cast-iron wings, heavy duty cast iron handwheels with chrome handles, micro-adjustable Shop Fox aluma-classic fence, and dust hood underneath with a 4" connector port.

Both Grizzly models offer upgrade extension rails to rip up to 50" wide. No $300 saw has that.

And don't dismiss a used machine. I got a great deal on mine (I will control my urge for a drive-by gloat).

Anyway, hope that helps.

codepath

Reply to
codepath