TABLE SAW SLED LESSONS LEARNED, SO FAR

The feet are not there to prevent side to side movement. They are there to prevent the miter thingie from lifting out of the slot. You can use a washer or even a flat piece of 1/8" metal for this purpose.
To prevent side to side slop, drill two holes in the side of the runner. One near the front and one near the back. Put a short set screw (find one with a relatively flat top) into this hole and screw it down enough so that the runner barely fits into the slot. If it is too loose, back the screw out a bit. Too tight, screw it down.
-Jack
DON' snipped-for-privacy@aci.on.ca says...

Maybe Jack D didn't either. Still, like the NY newsboy who was complained to because he sold the guy yesterday's newspaper: "So what! Had you read it.?"

Oh, I indeed thought of it. I was not the first however. I've seen something like this before. Things like the lever, the screw and the wheel have also been invented before, but there is always a new application for them.
-Jack

the thread, I also thought the washers on the miter gauge were to make it travel tight.
Better idea is to knurl the bar along its length so you don't have the possibility of movement as the foreword shim exits the groove, leaving a gap to swing into....

Support the bar solidly, and take a punch and dimple randomly along the length. The raised portion of the metal will grip the sides of the groove. You can do as many or as few as will do, and sometimes it's machining in the bar, so you only need them in the low spots.
It's like placing lots and lots of set screws on the length.

I would recommend changing to a plastic screw and perhaps a threaded insert in the body of the runner. A metal set screw will eventually widen the miter slot from abrasion.
Alan
Splitting hairs but a nylon srew would last longer.