table saw sled

Page 2 of 2

On Sun, 15 May 2005 19:08:40 -0400, "Owen Lawrence"

I solved that problem a long time ago...I use what could be described as two fences... the one is fixed, glued and screwed in place... The second is the real fence which is secured only on one side... but can be adjusted using a few T nuts bolts and wing nuts OFF the fixed base... just allows me to fine tune the fence to a PERFECT 90 degrees in a few seconds even years after the sled was made...
Just my way....no highway ...
Bob Griffiths

Excellent! I've been wondering how I could make a micro adjustment. It never occurred to me to use two fences. Now I know. Thanks!
- Owen -

I got mine very close, then use tape shims to get the final bit of perfection
<http://www.bburke.com/wood/sleds.htm
Barry

don't want to build one I need help moving to the saw. I have a Delta contractor style saw with 30" Unifence and extension on a Delta mobile base. The panel body will be 1/2" Baltic birch, the two runners will be red oak and the front and rear fences will be from 2x lumber. Any suggestions and/or caveats would be much appreciated. I have done extensive web searching with at least 4 different search engines and nothing strikes me as what I would like.

I must have at least a half dozen sleds that I use on both of my Tablesaws...and the demensions are all completely different... The demensions are all determined by the intended use of the sled...
I do not like HEAVY sleds...but some (especially the larger ones are HEAVY... ) most of mine are made with 3/4 inch Ply...although I do have a few made with 1/2 inch ply....
I gave up long ago on using wood for runners prefer to use Phenolic like plastic (forgot the real name of the material) and I spend twice as long "fitting the runners" as I do constructing the sled... The wood runners swell or contracts etc...
Lots of luck...
Bob
I think Bob has hit on it. You can't just have one. I have a big sled, dual runner, about 20x40 on 1/2" plywood base and a smallish (about 16" square) single runner sled that actully get most of the use.
Some times you need big with support on both sides of the kerf, but that is bulky. Other times small is just fine.
As an aside, I recently added a fixture to my single sided sled. Its a stop that reaches past (over) the blade. I made this for shoulder cuts on tennons so that the offcut could fall down to the table. That is, the trimmed piece was *not* in contact with the base of the sled, *not* in catact with the fence and *not* in contact with the stop block. It's just safer that way.
-Steve

Delta contractor style saw with 30" Unifence and extension on a Delta mobile base. The panel body will be 1/2" Baltic birch, the two runners will be red oak and the front and rear fences will be from 2x lumber. Any suggestions and/or caveats would be much appreciated. I have done extensive web searching with at least 4 different search engines and nothing strikes me as what I would like.

<snip>

This sounds useful, but I'm having a hard time visualizing it.
Care to try again for those of us who are a little slow this morning?
Patriarch
Thanks. gotta conserve finances so will prolly go with wood. . .at least at first.
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -