Table Saw Safety

Page 1 of 2
A safety question for all of you experts: The first thing I did when i got my Powermatic Artisans saw was to remove the splitter blade assembly. Never replaced it. I have been doing projects for years with NOTHING on my tablesaw for safety. How many others do this? Am I nuts?? Will I get hurt eventually? Thanks - Mike
snipped-for-privacy@windwalker.net wrote:

It depends...
Is your dust collector grounded?
Barry
My dust collector stayed out a little to late last night so I grounded it for a month.....I also took away the chip collector

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:46:36 +0000, mike wrote:

You could ask Carnac, but he's dead. Not sure if Miss Cleo is outa jail.
- Doug

oh crap - I think I just got sucked in...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

=8^0

Probably should have grounded that rogue dust collector before it got you.
-j
Mike, where do you get wood that has no internal stresses? Have you never ripped a piece of wood and had the kerf close up tight behind the blade? The splitter is intended to keep the wood from clamping shut on the rising teeth of the blade.
If you like the idea of taking a piece of wood into some soft part of your body, please, by all means, continue to leave the splitter in the drawer. If you value your internal organs, ribs, face, etc., put the damn splitter in.
Just because you've never had it happen before doesn't mean it won't. It's like saying, "I've never had an accident before so I don't need a seat belt."
I don't use a blade guard but I take other precautions to prevent my digits from getting nibbled on by the blade. I refuse to wear plate armor in my shop so I do use a splitter. Mine is a homemade one in a zero clearance throat plate. I bet you don't have one of them, either.

Yes - I have encountered that. I use wedges to keep the wood open in that case. Just like a splitter but not part of the saw. I don't disagree with what a splitter does, it's just that my saws don't have them so I use other techniques. Having said that, I looked at my saw recently and think I have come up with a way to build a riving knife for it that I will probably do. It's a bit down on my priority list right now since I have to get the car that I've been working on for the past 4 months out of my "shop".

You didn't read what I wrote. I said the saw did not come with a splitter - it's not in the drawer. And... there are ways that are equally effective to keep the wood from twisting back into the blade. I never mentioned that I did not understand how wood moves and did not take actions to accomodate that. There really is more to using a table saw than only using those devices you are familiar with. It pays to understand what is happening with things like kickback and to take measures to avoid it. I do this. You jumped to a bad conclusion.

I never said that and that is an alarmist cry. Equally, with your plastic guard and your pin splitter, you are equally vulnerable to an accident. My point might even be that many put too much confidence in pieces of plastic and feel they are past the point of danger driving awareness.

So - you take the course of employing intelligence and alternate methods to accomplish what a blade guard attempts to provide, but you post this stuff dumping on me for doing the same? You would not know what I have because I never gave out enough information for you to arrive at a conclusion. You jumped again because you wanted to get up on a horse and you are completely wrong in your assumptions. I never said a splitter was useless, I never even mentioned zero clearance plates. It seems like you really wanted to get up on a soap box with this post but you should have made sure the soap was dry - the box is slipping out from under you.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow, it sounds like you took it a little more personally than it was meant. Especially since I wasn't replying to you in the first place. I think you can smooth your hackles now.
My reply was to the other Mike who wrote: "A safety question for all of you experts: "The first thing I did when i got my Powermatic Artisans saw was to remove the splitter blade assembly. Never replaced it..."
Dave

Ok. Hang on a minute... (spitting in hand and stroking gently from top to bottom...). There - all smoothed now. A bit wet, but all smoothed.

I'm sorry Dave. I jumped out of instinct of some sort I guess. Or for some other equally brain dead reason. My bad. Please excuse my reaction.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
No worries, Mike. Apology accepted. Hatchet buried.
Dave wrote:

I take it you're not in the market for a SawStop table saw?
--RC
Are you trying to turn this into a serious conversation? As long as we don't take it seriously, we won't pissing contest 101 come out of the <ahem> woodwork.
Bob
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:46:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@windwalker.net wrote:

having learned on and used saws with no safety equipment at all for the first 20 years or so of my woodworking carreer I have in the last few years started using a splitter. I'm using a zero clearance insert mounted one, and I'd say it has increased my margin of safety a bit without creating any hassles.
guards won't keep you from getting hurt if you behave stupidly enough, and lack of them won't automatically cause injuries. in some cases, the standard US safety equipment is poorly enough designed to create significant hazards of it's own. I have heard speculation that the poor design is deliberate- the machinery is barely useable with the factory guards installed, so the vast majority of users remove them, which gives the manufacturer an argument to avoid liability.

Here's an inexpensive idea for anyone wanting to add a splitter to their saw. I'll be picking one up later on today. At this price it's a no brainer.
<http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pQ151&catQ&ap=1>
mp wrote:

I've got one of these and it works great. The only thing I regret is that it won't work on any angle other than 90. It took me a few minutes to set up the first one but once I figured it out, making new holes for the splitter in other inserts only took a second. They can't help it if I'm a little thick at times.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.barf
mp wrote:

If the wood pinches this splitter and the blade continues to lift the job, you stand a chance of having wood and the finger plate thrown at you.
Jeff G
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Are you speaking from personal experience with this splitter?

That is my concern with any splitter mounted to the insert. Actually the stock splitter on the very cheap guard on my very cheap TS does a pretty good job. The rest of the guard sucks, though, so it is usually catching dust.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com