Table Saw Rust

Page 1 of 2
Just wanted to pop in here and ask a question about rust on my table saw. I have a shop that I don't heat unless I am in there and using it. I figure that the heat I build up while I am in there probably doesn't help when I leave at the end of the day and it gets down to freezing. I at one time would cover the saw with a tarp but now think this might not help as the heat is trapped and causing condensation. So for now I have sprayed WD40 all over in hopes that it doesn't get too rusty. FYI for the last couple of years in spring I have to use steel wool and WD40 to clean off the surface rust...
Any suggestions to keep the rust of is appreciated.
--

OhioBeeFarmer
Getting kids involved in Beekeeping

I'll jump in before the hoard and say CAREFUL! Most car wax contains silcon that will be incompatable with some finishes. Use a paste wax to cover the tablesaw (and any other bare metal surfaces that wood contacts). I generally use Johnsons Paste Wax available at your local BORG. It also slickens the surface a bit making it a bit easier feed surface. Allen Catonsville, MD

I've always had great success with paraffin.

Ya know, I keep hearing this, that JPW is available at the BORG -- and *none* of the BORGs in Indianapolis carry it. Can any of you guys who keep saying that they do, post a stock number for JPW at HD/Lowe's/Menards/whatever?
After reading posts about HDs carrying Seal Coat and local not carrying I E-mail HD and their response was roughly "We'LL decide what YOU buy in YOUR store as YOUR store will NOT carry it". Not quite that bad but my impression of their mentality. Same with national grocery chain, I asked a clerk about a product and she led me to the spot where it used to be then checked with Mgr. "That item is no longer authorized for this store" was his response. Found another chain grocery where asking for a product get 85% shelf stock! Guess where my money is spent! New hardware store recently opened and they now carry Seal Coat, thankfully.
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:14:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

None found in Seattle yet either. I also have not been able to find the white Scotch Brites that was suggested to me there or anywhere else.
The plan that was recommended to me was:
1. Green Scotch Brite w/WD40 2. White Scotch Brite w/WD40 3. #0000 Steel Wool w/WD40 4. Wet/Dry Sandpaper w/WD40 (600, 800, then 1000-grit) 5. Paste Wax
If the wings are webbed, instead of solid, just do the first step on them.
Haven't tried it yet, but I will most likely only do steps 1, 3, and 5 as I would like to actually be able to use the damned thing someday before I retire.
codepath

Codepath,
Where is your shop located in Seattle? I mean, is it in a garage, out-building, or basement? Mine's in my heated basement in the North end - LFP to be specific. I'm just wondering how much of a rust problem you've seen as I haven't seen much, if any, in my shop ... not that I've done anything spectacular to prevent it, or anything at all for that matter. :-)
--Marc Hudson ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bellevue.
And I do not think that it qualifies as a "shop" per se. In fact, I think that it would be an embarrassment to the word. But, I am working on it.
Two car garage (well my half of it anyway). Exposed insulation (no sheetrock). Gull-wing-type doors (as opposed to tambour/roll-top) have huge gaps around them, can see daylight around edges. Single pane window (swings out like a door). Not heated. During heavy rain (and expect this to happen any moment after yesterdays downpour), water sweats through concrete exterior wall. Not to mention wife parking her wet car in there. The nerve!
My tools do not get wet directly and I have never seen any condensation on them, but the amount of water vapor must be fairly high as I started seeing oranging on the sides of the webbed CI wings. Almost imperceptible but definitely there and I have only had the thing since Xmas and it was spotless then. Not a good sign of things to come.
Not much I can do about any of these issues as I will be a dad again this Wednesday and funds for all projects are on indefinite hold. But, I have some green Scotch Brites, #0000, WD40, and paste wax. If I can steal even an hour this weekend, I'll give a very quick once-over and slap some wax on it to at least stop the progression long enough for things to settle down a bit.
codepath

Bad Idea.
Don't use car wax on woodworking equipment. The silicone in it will cause fisheye when you apply finish.
Non-silicone-bearing paste waxes include: * Johnson's Paste Wax * Minwax Paste Finishing Wax * Butcher's
Other products that may be more effective at preventing rust are Boeshield, T9, and TopCote.
This has been discussed _to_death_ in this newsgroup. Doesn't _anybody_ use Google anymore?

<snip>

Hence my use of the word "WAX" not polish... there is a difference.

Of course there's a difference. But the difference is not relevant to this discussion, because *neither one* should be used in a wood shop.
Car *wax* contains silicone, and should *not* be used on woodworking equipment, because the silicone in the wax interferes with many types of wood finishes.
Car *polish* contains silicone *and* abrasives, and likewise should not be used on woodworking equipment, for reasons that I hope are obvious.
LMAO your histerical! http://www.meguiars.com.au/Get_Schooled38.htm
That is if your implying all car wax has silicone.
I only pursued this from personal experience, been using it for nearly 20 years with no ill affects. Never said it was the only way and I did my best to avoid name brand promotion.
<END>

No, not all. But some do -- and you can't tell which do, and which don't. Best to stick with waxes that are *known* to be silicone-free.

misguided advice might not be so lucky. And then he'll post here, asking why his finish fisheyed.
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 03:20:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

when buying paste wax a good clue is to look for the word "carnauba". as far as I know there are no products on the market that contain both silicone and carnauba.     Bridger
Does anyone know if Minwax Paste Finishing Wax is "silicon free"
Why can't it contain silicon?

isn't, and also mailed a copy of the MSDS -- which makes no mention of it.

SiliconE with an E. Causes "fisheye" in some wood finishes.

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:40:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Doug-
you're overstating the case here.
SOME car finishing products contains silicone. not all do, and the ones that don't are formulated a bit stiffer and harder than furniture and floor waxes, which is actually a good thing for saw tops.     Bridger

coating that allows wood to slide real easy, I think the silicone in the wax makes it slicker then the other waxes. The silicone also coats the wood being sawn and helps protect it from things such as wood finishes and stains. I use Johnson's paste floor wax myself, almost as slick as the car wax and no silicone to mess up a finish.
Would this stuff be good?
Top Saver System $21.00 TopSaver- The all in one surface treatment for table top's. It is a Rust Remover/Lubricant/Surface Sealant/Conditioner for metal surfaces, it is unlike anything ever made. TopsaverT completely removes rust and corrosion from the pores of the metal surface. It reduces sliding friction, eliminates binding and surface hang-ups on tabletops, it also repels moisture and seals the surface pores against rust and corrosion.