Table Saw Rust

Just wanted to pop in here and ask a question about rust on my table saw. I have a shop that I don't heat unless I am in there and using it. I figure that the heat I build up while I am in there probably doesn't help when I leave at the end of the day and it gets down to freezing. I at one time would cover the saw with a tarp but now think this might not help as the heat is trapped and causing condensation. So for now I have sprayed WD40 all over in hopes that it doesn't get too rusty. FYI for the last couple of years in spring I have to use steel wool and WD40 to clean off the surface rust...

Any suggestions to keep the rust of is appreciated.

Reply to
BeeFarmer

Automotive car wax will protect from rust and I think makes the stock feeding considerably smoother.

Reply to
Eric Johnson

Reply to
Allen Epps

Bad Idea.

Don't use car wax on woodworking equipment. The silicone in it will cause fisheye when you apply finish.

Non-silicone-bearing paste waxes include:

  • Johnson's Paste Wax
  • Minwax Paste Finishing Wax
  • Butcher's

Other products that may be more effective at preventing rust are Boeshield, T9, and TopCote.

This has been discussed _to_death_ in this newsgroup. Doesn't _anybody_ use Google anymore?

Doug Miller

Reply to
Dave W

automotive car wax works fine as a rust inhibitor and leaves a nice smooth coating that allows wood to slide real easy, I think the silicone in the wax makes it slicker then the other waxes. The silicone also coats the wood being sawn and helps protect it from things such as wood finishes and stains. I use Johnson's paste floor wax myself, almost as slick as the car wax and no silicone to mess up a finish.

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

I've always had great success with paraffin.

Reply to
TexasFireGuy

Would this stuff be good?

Top Saver System $21.00 TopSaver- The all in one surface treatment for table top's. It is a Rust Remover/Lubricant/Surface Sealant/Conditioner for metal surfaces, it is unlike anything ever made. TopsaverT completely removes rust and corrosion from the pores of the metal surface. It reduces sliding friction, eliminates binding and surface hang-ups on tabletops, it also repels moisture and seals the surface pores against rust and corrosion.

Reply to
BeeFarmer

One of the magazines just ran a comparo of rust removers and preventatives. The clear winner--and it was way out in front--is the Boeshield pair of T-9 remover and their rust preventative. I use them both and can vouch for them. The usual disclaimer--no connection, etc.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Sweet Sawdust responds:

That first line had me going.

I'm waiting until it warms up a tad to spread a couple coats of shellac on my cast iron tables. It's here, I've got plenty of rags, but it is also about 13 degrees F. which ain't the best set-up for finishing.

Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain

Charlie Self

the shellac I use is rated to zero degrees, Charlie. Zinnser.

dave

Charlie Self wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

It's the latest issue of WOOD.

Reply to
Donnie Vazquez

Don't have any shellac so I used some Minwax Oil finish (oil and varnish) on my table top. Some seeped into the steel. Be interesting tio see how long it will work.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Ya know, I keep hearing this, that JPW is available at the BORG -- and *none* of the BORGs in Indianapolis carry it. Can any of you guys who keep saying that they do, post a stock number for JPW at HD/Lowe's/Menards/whatever?

Doug Miller

Reply to
nospambob

None found in Seattle yet either. I also have not been able to find the white Scotch Brites that was suggested to me there or anywhere else.

The plan that was recommended to me was:

  1. Green Scotch Brite w/WD40
  2. White Scotch Brite w/WD40
  3. #0000 Steel Wool w/WD40
  4. Wet/Dry Sandpaper w/WD40 (600, 800, then 1000-grit)
  5. Paste Wax

If the wings are webbed, instead of solid, just do the first step on them.

Haven't tried it yet, but I will most likely only do steps 1, 3, and 5 as I would like to actually be able to use the damned thing someday before I retire.

codepath

Reply to
codepath

TopSaver won the Wood magazine comparison for the best all-in-one remover/preventative product.

But, by far, the best performance was the Boeshield Rust Free (remover) and Boeshield T-9 (preventative). That T-9 beat the living crap out of every other product in the test.

IIRC, the total price for the Boeshield combo was even cheaper per ounce than the TopSaver kit.

I already have the WD40 and paste wax so I will go that route and see how it works here in the rainy Seattle area first. But, if it ends up a constant struggle, it's time for Boeshield.

codepath

Reply to
codepath

BeeFarmer--according to an article describing the testing of various products to remove rust and protect cast iron against rust in Wood Magazine's recent issue, the best rust preventer was "Boeshield T-9" and for cleaning the rust off first, they recommended "Boeshield Rust-Free" and "Empire TopSaver". Link to Boeshield below. Good luck

Michael S.

Reply to
Michael S.