Table Saw Question

I'm in the process of making an Adirondack Chair; this is my first project. I am using the free plans on the follwing web site:

've cut all the materials in the cut list and am on step 6, making the arms.

I have one of the little Delta table saws from the big box store with the included fence and angle guide(and all the safety equipment still in place).

I cannot figure out how make the long angle cuts with my current set up. I'm guessing I cannot and probably need an additional tool or I need to fabricate something? I will not freehand it, and I am sure safety dictates not to anyway. I ripped the 1 3/8 seat slats from 3/4 inch plywood and it was much fun, but that was just straight cuts.

I made the back slats (Step 5) with hand jig saw, but that was 1" stock, and the arms are 2x6, so it is a little harder to do, though not impossible. The bottom line is I bought the table saw for these kind of cuts. How do I do it?

Thank for help,

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Moore

Sadly, that is what circular saws and straight edges are for. Either that or a much much better table saw.

Reply to
Toller

Not true

You can cut it with a circular saw or make yourself a taper jig. As an aside, the jigs maje the saw much more versatile.

is one you can buy, or, I am sure, someone will give you a link to a plan for one you can make. That's what I learned to love about woodworking, you plan to make a project and you have 5 more mini projects to make the jigs to make the project. All part of the reason we do this :-)

Reply to
Ron S

One easy and safe way would be to mark the cut line on the workpiece, then tack the workpiece to a straight board such that the cut line aligns with one edge of the straight board. Set your tablesaw fence to a rip width equal to the width of the straight board, then send the whole thing through the saw, with the straight board's edge against the fence, naturally.

Reply to
lwasserm

Google on "taper jig". Several commercial versions are available, and descriptions and plans for shop-made jigs have been posted here in the past as well.

Quite correct.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Most of the time the need to frequently cut tapers safely on a table saw dictates taking the time to build a jig.

However, according to the plans you provided, that does not need to be the case with your one off project.

Considering the dimensions of the arms/amount of taper, Larry's method is hands down the quickest/easiest for an inexperienced person to setup, does not require building a jig, and, more importantly, can be done safely with your current equipment.

You should definitely proceed with that method in mind.

Reply to
Swingman

Or a jig.. as others have mentioned.

Reply to
Locutus

You need a tapering jig... like this

http://www.woodwork> I'm in the process of making an Adirondack Chair; this is my first project.

Reply to
Pat Barber

I, like some others, would suggest the tapering jig. For $20, it's a pretty cheap and good way to make the cut. To use it, mark the line you wish to cut on the board and swing the arm on the taper ing jig out until your cut line is parallel with your fence. Then align your cut line with the blade and make the cut. Easy and repeatable. --dave

http://www.woodmagaz>

Reply to
Dave Jackson

$15 at Harbor Freight. I have one, and as far as I can tell, it really is the same as the one from Woodcraft.

Reply to
boorite