Table Saw Question...

Sure. It covers yer gherkin...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

"Jerry S." wrote

Many folks in the world don't like the USA. And as such, get offended by almost anything anerican. Maybe it is envy. Whatever. You just can't please most people.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

There seems to be more and more people out there that think it's their "duty" to find something to be offended by. When I find one of these, I make it my "duty" to offend them. Keeps them happy.

Reply to
CW

Maybe, but if you visit another country, and someone asks where you are from, WHAT do you say?

"United States" - That's technically wrong. "American" - That's technically wrong

And if you say "I'm from the United States of America" or "US of A" you sound like a dork.

p.s. If you say "I'm from New York (or whatever)" - that's cheating.

A mathematician and an engineer were arguing over how to ...

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Texas ... and nothing more need be said.

Reply to
Swingman

HI Jerry, my intention was to just let this drop, but I wanted to address your last comment. Not because I have an overwhelming desire to be right, but to clarify.

I was not and am not offended and did not find it derogatory. I know many Americans and I work with many Americans. I have no issue; in fact have not noticed any difference between them and any other person I have met. Sure, there are people that see a stereotypical American around every corner. The same could be said about people seeing stereotypical Canadians, eh.

My point was; it is simply a flawed response. It's kind of like the "I'm rubber and you're glue..." response to an insult. "Oh yea...Well you're an American too." Contrary to what is portrayed on some US newscasts. I'm proud of my American neighbours. I don't always understand the politics, but I don't have to.

------ Sean ( A Canadian who watches way to much TV and all of the good stuff comes from the US)

Reply to
mrcomp_ca

mrcomp_ca expostulated:

| HI Jerry, my intention was to just let this drop, but I wanted to | address your last comment. Not because I have an overwhelming | desire to be right, but to clarify.

Good comment. Communication does seem to go to hell when being right becomes more important than being accurate....

| I was not and am not offended and did not find it derogatory. I know | many Americans and I work with many Americans. I have no issue; in | fact have not noticed any difference between them and any other | person I have met. Sure, there are people that see a stereotypical | American around every corner. The same could be said about people | seeing stereotypical Canadians, eh.

Most people on both sides of the border (any border) aren't very visible - and, by and large, the visible ones tend to be non-typical (else why would anyone notice them?)

| I'm proud of my American neighbours. I don't | always understand the politics, but I don't have to.

Works both ways. On a visit to France a while back I was asked a couple of times if I was Canadian - and felt complimented (and was still no less proud to be an American.)

FWIW, I don't always understand our politics either - but then it would seem that (especially) politicians aren't always rational.

Morris Dovey

It's "technically true" that a Blue Jay has no blue pigment in its feathers. Who gives a flying f*ck?

Plonk.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

IIRC Golden Eagles.

Reply to
fredfighter

Oh, no. The politicians are rational. But their deviousness is so convoluted, understanding is difficult, or at least requires the same somewhat odd twists of thought they, and their handlers, use. But, rationally, they want to get elected. Of course, that doesn't apply to clowns like Ralph Nader, who want to keep others from getting elected.

Reply to
Charlie Self

When we were in France last year for 3 weeks, we said, "California."

:^)

It was also the logical answer from the point-of-view that most of our time there was in the wine regions (intentionally), and it got the conversation going (as much as it could w/ our broken French and their broken English) in the viticultural / eonological direction.

-Chris

Reply to
TheNewGuy

Ah yes, the Canadian Nation Identity (tm): "We're not American, eh!" :-)

Reply to
Rob Fargher

Well, I live in Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada, North America. So I can lay claim to being a North American. Usage has the nomen American to refer to the inhabitants of the country below us, the Exited States of America.

I think of myself as being a Canadian. Not a North American and certainly not an American.

Reply to
Rob Fargher

An excellent point that has application in many, many areas.

Reply to
Doug Miller