Table Saw Question...

Page 1 of 3

I am in the market for a table saw. This will be my first saw, and for that matter my first stationary tool. My first project will be to build some cabinets to clean up my shop space. In the future I intend to continue on with my hobby of furniture making.
I am looking at this as my first saw, one that will get me through the first 5 or 6 years... long enough for me to decide if this is a life-long hobby. I want a quality saw that will not frustrate me or be an un-necesarry danger to me. I do not have the shop location wired for 220, and at this time I don't intend to do it anytime soon. The saw will have to be somewhat mobile as I have to share the 'shop' with a car during the cold Canadian winters...
I had initially decided on the General 185 Contractor Saw. I have read good reviews about it, and it came recommended by a much more knowledgeable friend. Recently I noticed the General 220 'Hybrid' Saw being offered. Does anybody have any working experience with this saw? Does anybody reccomend one over the other?
I have read various negative postings regarding the AMPs on the motor and the 2HP claim, and was wondering what the opinion here was. My understanding was the General uses a two pulley system which accounts for the greater horsepower rating....
The reason for my shift in thought here is that (correct me if I'm wrong) the 220 being in a cabinet should have less vibration and of course have better dust collection. If the motor is indeed 2HP, then the 220 should be a supperior saw? Even if the saw is slightly less than 2HP is it worth the trade off?
Any help would be great.
Buster
Get the JET SuperSaw to start. I have the DeWalt and like it a lot!
Chuck

Buster,
The General sounds like a winner.
I have had a Jet contractor saw for about five years now and have been very pleased with it. It has a great fence and plenty of power. We use the saw in our vintage trailer restoration business. I think I paid about $475.00 for it.
Good luck,
AZCRAIG
www.arizonavintagetrailers.com

Ditto the Jet Contractor saw. I've gotten excellent mileage from mine. I've moved up to a full blown cabinet saw but still have the Jet. Hate to see the thing go!

I usually encourage people to buy inexpensive or used equipment if they are new to woodworking. However, I get the sense that you can afford the difference. Then yeh, the extra HP and the better DC make life much more pleasant.
Buster wrote:

I'd suggest the Delta Contractor's saw complete with a Unifence and the wheeled dolly option, which I have found does as good a job as i need none; however, you have products available in Canada that may be equally as good or better.
A word of advice.
Any saw on the face of the earth that you drive under a Unifence will get the job done.
The fence is the most important part.
Lew

Maybe this is true because I know there are some pretty crappy saws on the face of this planet...

BOY DO I AGREE.....>
I love my Biesemeyer ... after over 10 years of use it has proven your point time after time...
Bob Griffiths
For the money it will be hard to beat the Grizzly G0444Z contractors saw. It has an excellent fence. I got one with the extension and legs. I am VERY satisfied with it.

Buster might care to look at my web site - Circular Sawbench Safety - Buying a Circular Sawbench.
Above all, I think I would try to establish how well the crown guard (hood, Murricans) automatically lifts as work is fed to the saw, suspecting that this could be the prime reason why people become frustrated and fail to use this vital part of the machine.
Jeff G
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

I believe we call it a blade guard over here, your lordship. If you need to resort to provincial name-calling to get attention, you might at least have the courtesy to expand your vocabulary of American terms to equal your vocabulary of offensive slang. But I've heard that courtesy isn't what it used to be over there, something which you so aptly demonstrate.
Hax Planx wrote:

Actually, what the Yurpeans use on table saw blades is properly called a crown guard, both for its shape and for its action, which is far more precise and efficient than the U.S./Canadian "blade guard".
Charlie Self says...

That's funny. I always thought the word European had some humorous phonetic possibilities, but I always restrained myself.
Geeze, what an uncalled for ad hominem driveby. FYI, IMHO Jeff has more courtesy and grace in his pinkie than most Murricans have altogether, including me. A visit to his website and a google of his posts on the wreck will demonstrate to any thinking person that he is willing to share in a thoughtful and meaningful way his wealth of experience, and if you don't get his sense of humor as expressed in his OP above, then why not just leave it alone and stop giving Murricans a bad name by bashing this particular gent.
Mutt
Pig says...

Speak for yourself. I fail to see how his corruption of the word does anything for our good name, or his for that matter. We don't have a vast lexicon of annoying slang for the British, but if I was to pick through the sewer and find some, would you find that humorous? Maybe Mr. Gorman has yet to be reminded that such comments aren't always welcome. In that case his knowledgeable woodworking posts can only be improved by the omission of the provincial jabs. If he was just doing a little innocent trolling, then he got what he was looking for. You see, it's all good.
I thought I was speaking for myself; last time I checked, the slang IMHO meant In my Humble Opinion......
While I'm at it, IMHO, (oh, sorry, speaking for myself) I don't find the word "Murricans" the least bit offensive.
Balderstone might have gotten it right. You might want to check your corn flakes daily.
Mutt.
Well, Pig, (does that make you a Murrican Pig? ;)) I didn't know that I was supposed to be offended by "Murrican" either! Heck, I had to DAGS - I had NO CLUE as to what it meant, and why Hax was so upset. Apparently, you and I both need to study more the things that are supposed to offend us (BIG wrap, be careful):
https://secure.customerservicecareers.com/wiki3/o/Offensive_terms_per_nationality_Offensive_terms_for_the_Spanish.asp#Offensive_terms_for_Americans_.28United_States.29
-Chris p.s. Mutt, I agree w/ the entire content of your original reply to Hax.
Pig wrote:

Pig wrote:

To me, "Murricans" is nothing more than a phonetic spelling of the word "Americans" in an american accent. Being that I'm Canajun, it's more properly spelt "Murkin". :-)
--
Cheers,
Rob

Nope... Don't you remember those famous books from the Trudeaupia years "Canajun, Eh?" and "Murrican, Huh?"?
;-)
djb

Canadians are "Murkins", too. So are Argentinians. The continents are "America", not the country. We live in The United States ***OF*** America. We get a couple Canadian stations here, & it always cracks me up when they interview someone who says something derogatory about "Americans". YOU ARE AMERICAN, TOO.

I doubt very much that you'd find many (any?) Canadians or Argentinians who would agree with you. :-)
I'd like to point out, also, that the official name of our neighbor immediately to the south is, in English, the United States of Mexico. And to the best of my knowledge, citizens of that nation refer to themselves as "Mexicans".
United States of Mexico --> Mexicans. United States of America --> Americans.
There used to be several others in South America as well, but the official names have since changed. Here's what they used to be:
United States of Brazil --> Brazilians. United States of Venezuela --> Venezuelans. United States of Colombia --> Colombians.
To sum it up, you're just flat wrong. Citizens of Canada are Canadians; citizens of the United States of Mexico are Mexicans; citizens of the United States of America are Americans. All are _North_Americans. Similarly, citizens of Argentina are Argentinians, and _South_Americans. But Canadians, Mexicans, and Argentinians are not "Americans" by _their_own_ definition.
--
Regards,