Table Saw purchase question

That is absolutely true but not unique in it's own right. Many people are not going to be able to afford any saw that they buy regardless of price and will cut back somewhere else. Unfortunately the economy is in the shape it is in mostly because a majority of the people bite off more than they can chew and are absolutely not prepared for a rainy day. Then there is inflation which makes most every thing go up in price and very seldom adds any value.

SawStop technology is not unique in driving up prices. The automobile industry is a prime example of safety costing all of us more.

Reply to
Leon

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 15:00:48 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Of course there's always emotions involved, but there's different types and different levels of emotions. You just have to stifle them as much as you can and go from there. If you go into something where logic is required and you're too angry or too upset, then you're going to have a problem.

Reply to
none

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 15:40:10 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Well, that's slightly different. Almost every time, the SawStop has been discussed, I've gotten into it with krw. That is emotion driven because we thoroughly detest each other. That's different only because the discussion is online. If the conversations we've had were in person, I'm sure we'd have tried to beat the crap out of each other. We can't do that online, so pent up emotions get let loose. :)

Reply to
none

--------------------------------------------------------- Who would have thought this simple post would generate 170 responses?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Understandable for a shop. Not so much so for personal insurance types. If I owned a shop, particularly where others were using the tools, I'd have one, too.

Reply to
krw

It sure is. Would they rather you buried it?

Reply to
krw

You really have to prove that you're an asshole every day, don't you?

You're full of shit, as usual.

Reply to
krw

The one that bought the congresscritter, perhaps. Liberty is better for everyone else, though.

Thanks. I took it to mean that you didn't like his marketing (making) the saw himself, after he couldn't find anyone else to license his patent. I didn't make any sense. ;-)

Sure. I don't take anything away from him for the technology/patent, just his tactics.

OK? I came to the opposite conclusion. Same facts + different weighting = different answer. That's "emotional" and yours wasn't?

My conclusion from the writings at the time. It's the best information we'll ever have.

Disagree, well, after what it would take to actually produce and market the saw with the brake.

Sure, those are costs but I don't think they're on the same order of magnitude. Did the survivors of seat belt accident victims sue Ford and GM after seat belts were installed? "Best practices" and all that.

About the same time as the SawStop patents (2002). I'd love the new design but, like the SawStop, it's well beyond what I was willing to pay. There is no way it's worth 2x the old design.

It didn't happen. If it would make them money, do you think they'd refuse? A former boss taught me the meaning of the "existence theorem", long ago. ;-)

Where does the Constitution explicitly allow federal government control of my safety? Are soda drinks next?

Reply to
krw

You can't even read, moron.

You're lying. Again. Still. Again, if you don't like what you think I write, why do you torture yourself by reading it? You must be as stupid as I've said to put yourself through that much pain.

Reply to
krw

You're lying again. You can't even read.

More proof of your lies. Keep it up. You'll prove to everyone else what I've known for a long time.

Reply to
krw

Grizzly has this one for just a little more money and the latest issue of Wood magazine has an article about it.

Max

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

You have to despise the guy for his tactics to make it law to use his product.

You have to admire the guy for taking the risk and starting his own business with the high quality saw.

You have to step back from all of that and make a decision based on facts and what is best for you.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's it in a nutshell!

Reply to
Leon

Our son has owned what is pretty much that contractor's saw for about seven years. I say "pretty much" because his has the Shop Fox Classic Aluminum fence. If that fence is available for this saw (upgrade, another model) I would go for it. I have owned a Grizzly 1023 for about twelve years and t hat saw has the Shop Fox original iron fence which is pretty much a Bieseme yer clone. Love the entire package and the fence is very nice. We helped him finish out his house right after he bought it and the saw was very nice to use.

BTW - You might want to consider moving up to the Grizzly 1023 series. Sol id as a rock, good dust control and plenty of power and it sits in the same size footprint.

Ron

Reply to
sphs.class64

en years. I say "pretty much" because his has the Shop Fox Classic Aluminu m fence. If that fence is available for this saw (upgrade, another model) I would go for it. I have owned a Grizzly 1023 for about twelve years and that saw has the Shop Fox original iron fence which is pretty much a Biese meyer clone. Love the entire package and the fence is very nice. We helpe d him finish out his house right after he bought it and the saw was very ni ce to use.

olid as a rock, good dust control and plenty of power and it sits in the sa me size footprint.

OH - And what Ed P. Said above. The Saw Stop is a great looking machine bu t it is priced out of some people's range.

Reply to
sphs.class64

+1

Bingo! You ran the board.

Reply to
krw

EOT?

Reply to
Swingman

Not likely!

Reply to
none

Keep it up. There may still be someone out there who doesn't know what an ass you are.

Reply to
krw