Table Saw purchase question

Well way way back when I thought it was a good enough idea to make mandatory. I have changed my mind on that given the implications that if you give them an inch they will take a mile. I never liked the method of the product being marketed after being turned down by the other builders. But I am quite flexible in my thinking. If you can show me valid reasoning I will consider it but I prefer to leave the emotional side of reasoning to my wife, and she would whole heartily agree.

Well that is here say. Since no actual contracts were negotiated no one really knows what the contracts would have said. Naturally a manufacturer will ask the highest price that they think they can get. And one of the manufacturers did agree to the some kind of terms but something, and no one knows what that some thing was, did cause the deal to fall through the cracks. I highly suspect there was some agreement, by those that were approached, to not accept the offers and force this new guy out. Little did any of them know just how successful Gass would be in producing his own product and is also suspect they are all probably rethinking the opportunity missed. In a nut shell no one knows what any of the negotiated deals would have been.

Perhaps impossible for you but I have no problem with simply looking at the product. Now if you really want to get pissed off lets consider the fact that we no longer have a choice of buying health care or not. At least with the SawStop the intentions were not to mandate that every citizen of the US be required to buy a SawStop even if they did not ever have any intention of buying any woodworking equipment what so ever.
RE: Subject
As soon as the insurance companies determine that customers who use a SawStop tablesaw have lower injury payouts, this discussion will be moot.
Lew
On Sun, 9 Mar 2014 17:31:51 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Our workman's comp carrier is recommending SawStop and may require them in the future

It will be an irreversible tide. Some time ago, Lee Valley swapped all their store's tablesaws out for SawStops. We all want to blame the lawyers, but the insurance industry is equally as complicit.

The insurance companies only because they have to payout the liability the lawyers sue for.
So yes, it is "lawyers" at the root of the problem.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 3/11/2014 5:59 AM, Swingman wrote:

products you sell or use. Their pricing to insure you might do that however.

I was thinking back to when Rob Lee was giving me a tour of the new downtown Toronto store. It had a new SawStop down one of the seminar rooms. Apparently, the company's insurance company had coerced the use of SawStops in all the stores.
This was several years ago, before any SawStop related payouts had hit the industry.
On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 10:56:34 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Because Rob Lee told me that they 'recommended' them.

fuel oil tank in my basement, of course the rate didn't drop. But they will cover it still, if I pay for a separate rider on my policy, price was crazy stupid.
--
Froz...

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:22:02 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

It sure is. Would they rather you buried it?
On 3/10/2014 7:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I can see an insurance company recommending the SawStop but to demand what equipment you use will probably not fly. Unless laws dictates such, they too could be found liable in a case where the SawStop might fail for what ever reason.
On 3/11/2014 9:10 AM, Leon wrote:

Most likely they would have the demand in the form of premiums.
If you insure with us and you use SawStop (or equal) $X If you keep your old equipment where you took the guards off, $X times 10.

Understandable for a shop. Not so much so for personal insurance types. If I owned a shop, particularly where others were using the tools, I'd have one, too.

There is lots not to like about the nanny state.

Not sure I follow this sentence.

The cost was obviously more than the makers thought it was worth. The numbers thrown around were way out of line.

The proof is in the (empty bowl of) pudding.

Constitution as an "enumerated power".

It occurs to me to wonder whether the other saw manufacturers considered this: If they began installing the SawStop device on their machines and someone with a previous machine lost a finger and sued because his machine wasn't recalled and retrofitted with the device...well...you know.
On 3/10/2014 10:29 PM, Max wrote:

monumental as this one, there are many many other cost factors to be considered other than simply the cost of the license.
On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 20:36:41 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

In your opinion which is almost always crap;

As usual, your emotions and your senility rule you.

No, I'll agree with him considering the fact that he, in that sentence, did not indicate that the only cost would be the one to pay Gass. There are many many other costs to consider short and long term when changing the design of a product. Given Delta's financial state it may have been more than they could have afforded to simply change tooling even of Gass had not charged for the technology. Liability costs and issues probably came into play given this technology was not proven with the test of time.
Oddly when all of this negotiating was happening I thought the figures tossed out there to buy the technology was not at all out of line.
Today seeing how many of the manufacturers are really struggling to stay afloat I can see how the possibility of buying in now would be a struggle. To me it looks like the manufacturers put too much emphasis on cost 10 or so years ago vs. investing in their futures. If that was the case, most probably made a bad business decision and they appear to be falling farther behind. And given the talk about the technology being too expensive to buy for the consumer it appears that the consumer is not as concerned with the cost of the SawStop as many had thought. I seriously doubt that the SawStop technology will ever be mandated. The SawStop seems to be a complete success story and the direction that SawStop is going will lead the industry. I believe that the vast majority of the people will want a saw with this technology.

To me, it's common sense just like a seatbelt. A seatbelt has saved my life in the past. And, aside from all the rhetoric about costs, SawStop seems like a common sense item too.