Table Saw purchase question

Leave out the .com. Just type in the name sawstop (or anything you want) and hit Ctrl/Enter and it will put the .com in for you.

I've saved enough keystrokes last year to buy a Harbor Freight 20% off coupon.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sorry, Leon. The first sentence of your reply to Tirome was:

"Said by the idiot."

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Unless there is name swapping going on, Tyrone was not the OP. The OPP alleges to be "buckwheat."

Reply to
Drew Lawson

(snip)

Exactly! Some 40+ years ago I got the very tip of my thumb into the blade when I flicked a piece of waste close by as the blade was winding down. With poor florescent lighting I realized later that you can't always see the real edge of the blade.

Every since then I work up a good case of fear, terror and respect for the blade before I even turn the saw on. It keeps my mind centered and not distracted. About like holding a loaded gun with the safety off. :-)

Gray/viejo lobo gris

Reply to
Gray_Wolf

LOL +1

Reply to
Leon

woodchucker wrote in news:7dmdnXL776bNTYrOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

For the last ten years I've used a table saw daily, and for thirty or so years prior to that, I'd used one at least a few of times a week. A few youthful misadventures with kickback taught me respect. I'm not foolhardy enough to say I can't get hurt again, but if I do, it won't be because I have a false sense of security from having a saw that makes a workshop safe for hot dogs.

Reply to
Tyrone Tiews

Larry Blanchard wrote in news:lf8mlc$6pe$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

Thanks, Larry.

Reply to
Tyrone Tiews

Do you wear a seatbelt when you're driving Tyrone? Do you have a smoke detector or carbon monoxide detector in your home Tyrone? The SawStop is a safety device just like anything else. If all these things are likely to give you a false sense of security then you've got a serious problem.

Reply to
none

The degree to which any safety device contributes to the utilitarian value to the owner varies with the ....owner. I would question the value of the Saw Stop safety device to someone who is extraordinarily safety conscious when operating any device that presents a danger. Am I prepared to trade some expensive and desirable tool in exchange for the safety a SawStop offers (say a jointer and a less expensive table saw.) (actually, I am since I can afford to) But for the individual who has to scrape together money for tools the choice might not be so easy. Having said that, if I were in the market for a new table saw the determining factor for my choice would be the quality of the tool.

None of the foregoing should be interpreted as a criticism of the SawStop's quality.

(and, by the way, insurance data shows that seat belts apparently do cause drivers to develop a false sense of security. That's why people often do not buckle up for short trips but when they hit the freeway they do buckle up.)

Reply to
Max

Not Tyrone, but... Sure, but not if I had to pay twice as much for the car with one.

Yes. No. Neither, if I had to pay twice as much for the house.

Not like everything else. The difference is the cost (and the patents). Let's do this again after the patents run out.

You can deny human nature all you want but it doesn't change it.

Reply to
krw

I'm wondering how many less than ten fingered woodworking people would agree with you?

Reply to
none

Completely irrelevant. A similar silly-statement would be "How many people who had limbs lost in car accidents, prefer they stayed home that day?". Life *is* about risk/reward, no matter how much the nanny-state tries to tell you otherwise.

There is no such thing as "safe". The only question is how much are you willing to pay for each bit of "safety". When I bought my saw, I looked at a SawStop but decided that the Unisaw would look nice in the garage (nicer than the Griz). A picture of a SawStop just wouldn't cut it.

Do you have a SawStop?

Reply to
krw

I don't even have a workshop. All of my woodworking is limited to the workbench in my living room. But, if I did have a workshop, I'd seriously consider a SawStop or a sliding table panel saw. That being said, my needs are different than the average woodworker.

Reply to
none

How many less than ten fingered woodworking people are there?

( by the way, your statement about wondering doesn't require a question mark) ;-)

Reply to
Max

Especially when paying in freedoms:

Swingman

I know of three people here who have previously self identified with a tablesaw injury that could have been prevented by a SawStop if it had existed at the time of the injury. I'm not going to name them, but perhaps some will name themselves.

Reply to
none

So you admit that it's not all that cut-and-dried; there *is* a decision to be made.

Reply to
krw

There's always a decision to be made. And, you've chosen to ignore my statement that my situation when using a tablesaw is different than most.

I do however question your comparison ridiculous comparisons as to costs.

The SawStop mechanism DOES NOT double the price of the saw. It doesn't even come close. The SawStop tablesaw itself is a well made, very decent operating tablesaw with top notch fit and finish.

There's a number of regular $3000 tablesaws on the market and the SawStop is as good if not better than all of them.

Reply to
none

Since you've not made that decision and have just admitted that perhaps it's not "stupid" to buy a non-stop saw, you really have no argument.

Fact, Jack. That's *exactly* the decision I was confronted with. $1600 for the Unisaw - $3500 for the "equivalent" SawStop. The $1600 was do-able (up from the $1400 for the budgeted Griz). $3500 would have had me laughed out of the "capital acquisition" meeting.

It *DID*. That's the point.

Oh, good grief! When *you* make the decision with *your* money, come back and we'll talk.

Reply to
krw

As usual, your fact are full of holes.

Powermatic PM2000 ~ $3000 Delta 36-L352 ~ $3000 SawStop Professional cabinet saw ~ $3000

The REAL TRUTH is that MOST SawStop naysayers like you are too busy letting your emotions overrule your common sense. You hate GASS' business tactics so much that you'll consider any excuse to exclude a SawStop from your purchasing condition.

Reply to
none