Table saw or router table?

Page 1 of 2

for a woodworking newbie, which tool would you recommend as your first purchase? From what I have been reading, it seems many of the things that can be done with a table saw can also be done with a router table and a straight bit? and it appears to be safer.
Comments/advice appreciated.

Opinion only of course, but ... personally, I don't think a router will be much good without a table saw. But, it depends on what you want to do, which you gave no hint of; there ARE instances where you possibly wouldn't need a Table Saw for much of anything but they are few and far between.
And no, a Table Saw can't come close to doing what a router can do, and vice versa in most cases. I've never known anyone who used a router but didn't also have to use a table saw.
What kind of projects do you see yourself doing? That will answer your question; more details needed, but I suspect you want a table saw first.
HTH,
Pop

I want to make medieval era reproduction furniture. Furniture from this time period is rather simplistic.
This will be my first project:
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~kuijt/Bed.JPG
Thanks.
Table saw, IMO. With it, you can make your own router table. Tom
Locutus wrote:

Saw. You'll need to cut boards to width and length, router isn't for that.
-- dadiOH ____________________________
Bandsaw.
Mark
<snip>

materials pre-planed and jointed; buy stock, pre-made, mouldings and can find premade turned posts then I suspect your best first tool will be a compound mitre saw. Then Table saw, router w/table, jointer, planer, shaper and hundres of other cool things. bwo ha ha ha.

I do plan on purchasing the wood preplaned and using pre-made moldings. For the posts I was considering using porch posts... I already own a compound mitre saw and many other tools. I meant to ask "which would you buy first out of those two tools", I did not mean to imply that it would be my first tool.
Well, you can make a router table for almost nothing, so all that leaves is buying a router if you don't already own one. That is dramatically less expensive than a table saw.
I work just fine without a table saw. I use a bandsaw instead. At first I did that because that is all I had room for. Now I'm sure I'd get a table saw, even if I had room. It is safer, quieter, and very versatile. One caveat: Bandsaw is not good for handling a lot of plywood.
Mark

And you're asking what your FIRST tool should be?
Your first tool should be your library card. Do a whole lot of research on what's *really* involved in building furniture.
--
Talking about art is like dancing about architecture - Frank Zappa

Sorry I wasn't clear, I actually own quite a few tools... just not the kind that would be used for making furniture. My weekend job is rehabing houses so I have quite a bit of experience with rough and finish woodworking (from framing to moldings). I already own several compound mitre saws, jig saws, circular saws, multiple drills and rotary tools, etc...
Why not use medieval tools to increase authenticity . . .

Not only do I stand by my previous statement but you also seem to have an opinion about everything. But listen, don't hold back get it all out you'll feel better. You are one funny guy. Tom

I've never known anyone who

I am sure you were caught off guard here but many people have a router and use a Radial Arm Saw in place of a table saw. I started that way.
A sircular saw can do almost what a TS can do with a little more work. I started with a Miter say, Sircular saw then Router and last TS. But if I start over, first I get TS. Max EN
Hey Locutus, I think the table saw is a must have piece of equipment. Depending on which model you get, you could replace or adapt one of the side tables to mount a router and you'd have both of your choices. You could even use the TS fence for the router in many applications. If you can have only one item go with the table saw.
Marc (who is happy that he could log onto rec.WW without any difficulty today.)
Ts here too, but be sure to know how to use it safely. I was lucky enough to have a few courses. It can kill you, i mean its a mean m/c. But it cuts things to size. A sled is used for crosscutting. Easily made and essential, non standard eqpmt.
-

table saw. Jim

Thanks guys.

One more opinion - definitely get a table saw. Of all of the tools in my shop, it sees the most use and is the most versatile (sp?). Just don't skimp on the price - get the best saw you can afford - you won't regret it.
Bill