Table Saw Magic - anyone built any of the jigs?

Page 1 of 2
Folks -
I've been going over "Table Saw Magic" by Jim Tolpin and have started building some of the jigs in the book. Have any of you built his jigs or made any mods?
He has a "Universal Fence" that everything else attaches to. It is a ~6" vertical fence that is cradled on the top of your existing rip fence. It has a T track and a couple of captive nuts, for attaching other jigs or accesories. I built it yesterday, that's the first step. Next is a vertical sled, which I am building. Toward the end of the book there's a raised panel sled that lets RT saw owners work on the right side while keeping the blade vertical. It seems as if these two vertical fence jigs could be easily combined.
I haven't *used* the two jigs I've built yet, they're still going together, but everthing looks promising. In looking at the other jigs in the book, I am continually going "A-HA!". While I may not be the sharpest tool on the bench, I know my kindling and Tolpin has some *really* insightful ideas and methods in this book.
I'd be interested to know if any of you have built his jigs and your feedback.
John Moorhead Lakeport CA
I haven't built any, but I know Ian Kirby had a similar raised panel sled jig in a issue of American Woodworker. Tony D.

or
has
together,
and
John, Are this jigs going to fit over the General (Bessy clone) fence or are you replacing it? Do they fit with friction or do they fasten some how? I guess I am going to have to get the book.

or
has
together,
and
What kind of wax should be used to apply to the top of the table saw, jointer, etc?

~6"
jigs
book,
the
Dave wrote:

"The exploding kind." No, sorry, that's a line from a "Pink Panther" movie. <g>
I use Johnson's Paste Wax.
-- Mark

Any paste wax that does not contain silicone (which causes problems with finishes). Avoid automobile waxes for this reason.
Johnson's Paste Wax and Minwax Paste Finishing Wax do not contain silicone. I believe there are others, also -- DAGS (do a Google search) on this newsgroup, and you'll probably find the names of one or two other silicone-free brands.

I have been using Johnson's Paste wax for years. Pay no attention to the rumor that this product is discontinued. Available everywhere in the US.

Well... it's available, yes, but "everywhere" is a substantial exaggeration: try finding it at Wal-Mart, for example, or Kroger. Good luck. Ya gotta know where to look. Supposedly, Home Depot and Lowe's stock it in some areas of the country, but not where I live (Indianapolis). Small hardware stores seem to be the best places to look.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in message wrote:

Try looking in one of the paint aisles near the stains. I am not trying to be a wise-ass, I just know that when I asked at my local HD I was told that they didn't carry it (by several HD drones) but I finally found it with the stains and varnishes. I have seen it at every HD that I have looked.
-Chris
snipped-for-privacy@mybluelight.com (Chris) wrote:

All I've ever seen in the paint/stain aisles at either Lowe's or HD is Minwax Paste Finishing Wax, never any Johnson's Paste Wax. But I'll look again the next time I'm there. Thanks.

Minwax works great.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Try looking for 'Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax' . . . yellow & red can
Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop
SNIP

Minwax
the

I saw this used in a picture in a woodworking magazine. What surprised me was that it looked like a half pound can. I thought "bowling alley wax" would be in huge drums.
Doug Miller wrote:

I just found some at Lowe's. SWMBO knew just where to look, but damn if I remember where it was. Some girlie aisle I usually ignore, probably. They had tons of it (about 20 cans), and it didn't look like it was in any danger of being discontinued.
If anyone is having trouble coming by a can of the stuff, I can buy it and mail it. I forget how much it was.
Um.
44690 16 OZ FINE WOOD P 4.74
There you go.

I found it in the cleaning supplies aisle, not the finishing aisle.
Allen Catonsville, MD

I looked there *first*! :-( I see you're in MD. Must be a regional kinda thing. None of the Borgs in Indianapolis seem to have it anywhere.

Thanks -- I'll check on that.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) writes:

I actually found Johnson's Paste Wax in a grocery store. It was a Jewel or a Dominick's - I dont remember exactly which one. It was in the cleaning aisle. (I live 60 miles west of Chicago.)
Todd
On 26 Jan 2004 09:28:05 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@mybluelight.com (Chris) wrote:

Stores put in strange places. I've found it in the paint section at Lowes and WalMart. And in the cleaning section at Home Depot and several grocery stores. A can of it lasts me about 5 years.
3M makes a product called T9. Supposed to work great. Haven't tried it yet though.

jigs
It
ideas