Table saw insert problem

Hi all:

I finally fired up my PM66 after rebuilding it. I made every attempt to put the arbor back in it's previous position when I pressed it back together. With the insert in place, and the blade at 0 degrees, the blade appears to be centered in the insert slot. However, the blade rubs the insert (on the right side when viewing from the infeed end) when the bevel angle is above 35 degrees or so. I have run out of room in the table mounting holes to shift the table any more. From what I can see, here are my options:

1: Make a new, custom insert (I'll need a zero-clearance one anyway). 2: Enlarge table mounting holes and try to split the difference between the 0-degree alignment and 45-degree alignment. 3: Shim the table top upward so that the blade doesn't touch the insert. 4: Disassemble and press the arbor shaft a little farther into its casting (my least desirable choice).

I should qualify this by saying that the saw was purchased used at auction, is a 1969 vintage, and I cannot tell with any certainty that it was properly aligned when I obtained it or that the supplied aluminum insert is original or even correct for the saw.

Thanks in advance, John.

Reply to
the_tool_man

I believe Rockler sells insert for that saw, made of something other than metal. That might be a choice for you. I would not mess with the table top when a simple solution could be the fix.

Reply to
evodawg

If your blade is not staying parallel to the miter slot when you tilt the blade, also indicated by the blade side moving closer to the front or back side of the insert, you have an alignment problem going on. If the blade looks correct at 90 degrees, It should also fit properly at 45 degrees. Do you remember any shims that may have been left out? IIRC the shims go under the trunion where it bolts to the cabinet. If any of the corners where the trunioin bolts to he cabinet are slightly lot of alignment it can cause the blade to shift as it is being tilted.

If your insert paint is worn, look at the back behind the blade. Typically wood does not slide directly behind the blade. The less worn spot should indicate if your blade is where it was before the teardown.

That may be part of the solution but you should insure that the blade is not angling in or out at the back or front when you tilt the blade. It should remain parallel to the miter slot as you tilt it.

I would check blade to miter slot parallel alignment first at 90 AND 45 degrees first.

Reply to
Leon

Not knowing anything about the PM66, I can only offer conjecture, but I would agree that the solution doesn't lie in the insert, but in the alignment.

You (op) could also be either too high or too low wrt the proper center of rotation of the trunnion assembly, as well as to the left or right.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root