Table saw help

I use my table saw mostly for making picture frames as a hobby. When I need two sides @ 45 miters the same length, 30 inch or longer, what can I use for a stop to make them the same? Any replies apppreciated. Thank you.

Reply to
bmk-max

A block of wood clamped to the fence? You don't say what you're using to run the pieces through, like a sled or a mitre guage, or tilting the blade or whatever. There's a wealth of knowledge in the archives of this newsgroup, too. Check it out. Tom

Reply to
tom

Tom, thanks for the reply. I'm using the mitre. Still need a way to cut

2 lengths the same. Need another idea. Thanks.
Reply to
bmk-max

Use a miter sled, with a stop fixed to the fence(s).

Reply to
Art Greenberg

A hobby should be fun. Get the right equipment, or set up a jig. I've only seen it once, but a guy I knew had a cast iron [really well made] setup. He ran it along the miter guide slot, turn it a notch for the other piece and they fit every time. They didn't have to be bang on, just bang on with each other to form 90 degrees.

Reply to
Guess who

Not familar with a miter sled. Could you please explain? Thanks.

Reply to
bmk-max

Google is your friend. I've put a few of the results of s simple search here. I'm sure you can find more.

Art Greenberg

Google for "crosscut sled". Do an image search.

Imagine putting a 45 degree angle fence on it. Make that fence long enough to use a stop to cut consistent lengths.

Google for "miter sled".

Reply to
fredfighter

Three steps:

  1. Got to this site:
    and buy the item you see pictured.
  2. Take your existing mitre guage and melt it down.
  3. Sell that to a scrap dealer. You will never use it again.

Standard disclaimer: No affiliation other than customer.

Reply to
wood_newbie

I cheat. I cut each side slightly longer than I need. I pair them and fasten them together I then trim each pair to the proper lenght, remove the fasteners and place them on the oposite sides. I use to use small nails but find that staples work just as well and don't leave as big of holes in the frame.

I use a square miter gauge as found at Rockler with an extended face.

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Reply to
keith_nuttle

What about double-sided tape?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Just a thank you to all that replied to my question on a stop for getting 2 lengths the same with a miter. Great ideas. Thanks guys.

Reply to
bmk-max