Table Saw Gloat

A couple years ago I bought a bunch of tools from a guy who quit woodworking. Floor drill press, 6" jointer, 12.5" planer, dust collector, dado blade, two routers, Bessey K-Bodies & 14" bandsaw with riser. All were in great shape. I hadn't heard from him since. Last week I got a email from him saying another baby is on the way and he wanted to get rid of his Jet 10" contractor saw. If I wanted to stop by and pick it up I could have it for free.

Naturally I made the 100 mile round trip ASAP, before he changed his mind. ;-) There is some minor rust on the top after 2+ years of storage but nothing a little elbow grease won't get rid of fast.

Space is limited in my single-car garage shop. I think I'll take the right wing off my Grizz contractor saw and bolt the Jet TS in its place. The same fence will then work with both saws. On some projects it will be great to be able to leave the dado installed on one of them!

Of course I can't just bolt the Jet to the Grizz, I'll need to build a cabinet that will hold both. I appreciate any ideas how I can have a single dust port on the cabinet and switch collecting dust between the two saws. My DC doesn't have the power to draw from both at the same time, and until I upgrade the electricity I can't get one that will. I have several ideas but sawdust could create jamming problems when switching the airflow.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

First allow me to say with deep and profound feeling ---- "you suck"... Now that that's said..

Easiest way I can think of would be to hook a hose up to either saw, run them to a Y and have a blast gate on either side of the Y junction... Just open the one you want to use. Put the Y in the cabinet and you could use a wire or manual pull system to open the gates from the outside... Maybe a rocker assembly that when the lever is to the left the Grizz is open for business and vice versa for the Jet...

And in case you missed it... you suck... ;-) (it's purely jealousy speaking here)

Reply to
bremen68

Man, that's great fortune. Be sure and send the guy something for his new baby.

If it was me, I'd sell the grizz and keep the Jet saw. My shop is pretty good sized, but I couldn't justify having 2 table saws. I've already got too much stuff crammed in there.

I'd ebay the grizz and use the cash to buy something you really need (and a baby gift for the dude that gave you the Jet).

Reply to
bf

Oh, I gave him some cash as a thank you. ;-) More than 1/3 of what I'd been willing to pay for a used Jet.

Selling something can be a hassle, especially when it's disassembled, a little rusty, in storage, and 15 minutes from your house. I performed a valuable service by helping him empty heavy, heavy metal from his rented storage bin. ;-)

I'm going to have *two* table saws in the same floor space as my Grizzly. Something like this.

'm really looking forward to not having to mess around as much setting up dados.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

"Mark Jerde" wrote in news:mQOXg.11$gx6.4@trnddc05:

Hmm, Why would he want to get rid of his saw because another baby was on the way? Did he need room in the basement or garage for another crib? Why didn't he try to sell it for 4 or 5 hundred dollars? Must be a rich guy with a small house. Anyway you suck. Hank

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

"Mark Jerde" wrote in news:jWWXg.46$Km6.3@trnddc03:

Yep, you suck.

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

I have a similar setup, but just one table saw. I made this cabinet that's about 5'x5'. I integrated a delta contractor's saw into the cabinet to get proper dust collection. Then I attached the bench dog cast iron router table extension and attached dust collection to that. There's also a large outfeed table. It's not done yet though. I have more cast iron top I got from harbor freight that I need to attach. I also have space for drawers and full-extension slides, but I haven't built the drawers yet. I also have this space that I could use for something, but I haven't decided yet. I'm thinking I'll put a hinged top on the out/side feed table to make a large box to put bulky things in. I also need to add an over-the-table blade guard. It's all on casters. I also made it taller than a normal table saw so that it's more comfortable for me.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning