Table Saw for Xmas

Just looking for a few opinions.

I was thinking of buying the below Delta saw for myself. Model 36-390C for 399.00 CAD. Its a Canada only version something like the TS 300 to TS 350 saws.

wife buys me a saw for Xmas, the one below. 650.00 CAD reg, she got it on clearance for 450.00 CAD.

of direct drive like the Delta, the Mastercraft has a belt driven blade. The motor hangs off the back. It seems to be similiar to some of the more expensive Delta saws. Seem to have a very sturdy and accuate rip fence and guide system. The MC comes with lifetime garantee on all parts.

I know opinions will vary but I'm wondering if I should keep the Mastercraft of exchange for the Delta ?

Thanks for reading.

Reply to
SDogg

If it's a nice saw, keep it by all means! Who cares what the name on the decal says? Is this the same Mastercraft that makes boats?

Brian.

>>> My wife buys me a saw for Xmas, the one below. 650.00 CAD reg, she got

>> Instead of direct drive like the Delta, the Mastercraft has a belt

Reply to
Brian

No. Mastercraft is the in house brand name sold by Canadian Tire, a large Canada wide hardware/automotive retail chain.

Reply to
SDogg

On Tue 04 Jan 2005 08:54:27p, SDogg wrote in news:DFICd.47580$dv1.32384@edtnps89:

Can't really tell from the images, but my own feeling is that a belt-drive wins over a direct drive any time. I'd keep the MC, unless they've got a rep as a really really chintzy company. Kinda looks like the Canuk version of Grizzly. :-)

Reply to
Dan

Ditto that (take the belt drive and run). Keep what you've got and give your wife a kiss. At that price point you are not going to get your last saw (assuming that you stick with this for a couple of decades). It will likely serve you well until you outgrow it.

The "Buy the best, cry once" crow will probably chime in here. That's a great policy if your are rich with either patience or cash flow. That not always the case.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Thanks for the opinions guys. I think I keep it. I'll link to a few pics once I get it all together tonight.

Sean.

Stephen M wrote:

Reply to
SDogg

Good decision. Your wife will love you even more when you make her the first project, no matter how simple it is.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Well, I went with the bigger saw, check it out.

weighs about 275 lbs. The wings are 40 lbs each alone !!

Everything is adjustable but everything was almost bang on after putting it all together.

The saw is extremely quiet and vibration free when running.

Sean.

SDogg wrote:

SDogg