Table saw extension?

I've got a very old craftsman table saw. It has a adjustable fence and such but I was trying to cut a piece of plywood down the middle last night and it was almost impossible to get the cut straight. Any recommendations on how to do this better? I couldn't use the miter because of the depth of the board.
signature Troy & Michelle Hall Cogy Farm Clay Center, Kansas 67432

such
it
The easiest way would be to cut the board a little fat with a circular saw and then trim up the now more manageable piece on the table saw. Use a straight edge of some sort to guide the circular saw and you can eliminate the second step. Cutting a piece of plywood the way you're trying is the wrong use of a table saw.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

Troy, it seems we all still have a lot to learn. Just in different areas.
We have been blessed in our area with several good woodworking programs run by the high schools, in the evenings. You might check there, too.
There's a regular here, who, for as long as I've been hanging out here, kept touting a book by Fred Bingham, "Practical Yacht Joinery". Since I had no interest in yachts, it took me a very long time to finally spend the $15 to buy a used copy. For a fellow on a limited tools budget, a VERY good investment would be to scrounge up a copy, either in a library, or over the web, used. Almost everything in the book relates to working on land-based projects as well.
And see about "Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking, Pt1 & 2".
Welcome. Visit often.
Patriarch
Second Tage Frid book. Read it through on receipt and since have gone back for refresher and found something entirely NEW. Great reference tome!
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:05:43 GMT, patriarch

Straight straight edges are hard to find! I keep a piece of 1/2 ply about a foot wide that is known to be straight. I also use it as a carrier for ripping on a RAS. I screw the work onto it from below and run it against the fence. You can use the same method on the TS when neither side of the workpiece is straight. After the first cut, you take the work off the carrier and use the fence normally. Wilson