Table saw extension?

I've got a very old craftsman table saw. It has a adjustable fence and such but I was trying to cut a piece of plywood down the middle last night and it was almost impossible to get the cut straight. Any recommendations on how to do this better? I couldn't use the miter because of the depth of the board.

signature Troy & Michelle Hall Cogy Farm Clay Center, Kansas 67432

Reply to
Troy Hall

The easiest way would be to cut the board a little fat with a circular saw and then trim up the now more manageable piece on the table saw. Use a straight edge of some sort to guide the circular saw and you can eliminate the second step. Cutting a piece of plywood the way you're trying is the wrong use of a table saw.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

ok. That makes sense. I have two circular saws, one 5¼" and one 7½" and will use them. What I did was after I cut it proud I used a piece of hardwood as a fence and trimmed to the proper size. Next time I'll just do that from the start. Thank you very much. I've still got a lot to learn. If there was a college nearby I'd take a course in wood working as I didn't pay as much attention in school 30 years ago as I should've. I really enjoy woodworking and am SLOWLY reacquiring all my tools after a very long and messy divorce.

Reply to
Troy Hall

"Troy Hall" wrote in news:BVp1d.668$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Troy, it seems we all still have a lot to learn. Just in different areas.

We have been blessed in our area with several good woodworking programs run by the high schools, in the evenings. You might check there, too.

There's a regular here, who, for as long as I've been hanging out here, kept touting a book by Fred Bingham, "Practical Yacht Joinery". Since I had no interest in yachts, it took me a very long time to finally spend the $15 to buy a used copy. For a fellow on a limited tools budget, a VERY good investment would be to scrounge up a copy, either in a library, or over the web, used. Almost everything in the book relates to working on land-based projects as well.

And see about "Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking, Pt1 & 2".

Welcome. Visit often.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch