Table saw blade question/problem

I have an Oldham Signature combination blade on my TS. It cuts crosscuts just fine. The problem I am concerned with is that when I rip an Oak board I get a pitch type buildup on the right side of the blade only. I usually take the blade off and clean it with EasyOff oven cleaner and it does a good job of cleaning it. I then reinstall the blade and rip again and when I do I get an immediate buildup on the right side of the blade again. My Oak has been dried for 2 or 3 years and is not newly cut or damp. The question I have is do any of you know of a combination blade that has a coating on it (Teflon or something else) than prevents buildup from occurring that I can purchase? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Tom

I've used freud and forrest blades without any kind of buildup like what you're describing. I have to wonder if what you're experiencing is a blade problem, a tablesaw setup problem, or a problem with the wood.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Freud is big in to those coatings however that coating IMHO only masks a problem. I would check my TS set up first.

Reply to
Leon

I bought the same blade at HD and loved it and the price. While it was getting sharpened I bought a second one as a backup. It did the same thing you are talking about. Return it and try another one, that's what I did and the next one was fine.

Rick

Reply to
Rick's Cabinet Shop

It sounds like your fence is out of alignment with the blade.

Reply to
Nova

Oh, and by the way, my saw was setup and cut great till the new blade went in. Take it back out and it was fine.

Reply to
Rick's Cabinet Shop

I suspect that your teeth are not properly sharpened on that side of the blade, so they're heating up the wood more.

Maybe try getting it sharpened?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Hi Tom,

It is remotely possible that the blade itself is at fault. If it was improperly sharpened so that there is less tooth/body clearance on one side then that side would be more sensitive to alignment error. It could also be sharpened so that there is zero or negative clearance, in which case you will have a problem no matter what the alignment. You might be able to see it with the naked eye (marks from the sharpening wheel on the blade body) but it's more likely you would need a dial indicator to check it.

Personally, I am inclined to agree with Jack's assessment (below). It might not happen on all blades because they might have more tooth/body clearance and be less sensitive to misalignment. Did you check the alignment with a dial indicator? Did you use the "mark a spot and rotate the blade" method? If you don't do this, or if you use a blade replacement plate, your alignment might be adversely affected by warp or arbor/flange runout.

The following page has a section called "Use of a blade replacement plate" which contains description and a video demonstrating the best technique:

it helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com

2006 year end special:
wrote:
Reply to
ejb

I am guessing that you either have a blade with the teeth on the right side not properly set or the feed is a little crooked compared to the blade. Measure carefully from the fence to the front and back of the blade to be sure it isn't cocked. Somebody here posted a link to setting up a table saw a while ago and when I did that to my junky old Craftsman ("good" grade) saw lot of these nagging little problems went away.

Reply to
gfretwell

Probably your rip fence is not quite parallel to the blade -- the clearance is a little bit less at the back of the blade than at the front -- and the wood is being forced against the blade.

It's also possible that your splitter is very slightly misaligned. That can also pull the wood one direction or the other. But I think I'd be looking at the fence alignment first.

Arm & Hammer washing soda works even better. It's cheaper, better for the environment, less messy, and has no noxious fumes. Dissolve 1/4 cup in a quart of warm water in a plastic dishpan, and lay the saw blade in it. Most of the crud will lift off the blade almost immediately; any that remains after five minutes can be easily scrubbed off with an old toothbrush. You can find washing soda in the laundry aisle of most grocery stores.

Yep, sounds like an alignment problem.

Don't treat the symptom -- find and fix the cause. Check the alignment of your saw first: verify that the blade, the miter slots, and the rip fence are all parallel. Slight toe-OUT of the rip fence (farther away from the blade at the back than at the front) is not a problem. The precise definition of "slight" is a matter of opinion -- some posters on this ng have indicated that they set their fences to toe out by 1/64", and others say just a few thousandths -- but the important thing is that it does not toe IN. It appears that yours *does*, and that's a potential safety hazard, because it can cause kickback.

A Google Groups search on this ng for table saw alignment will tell you more than you ever wanted to know.

Reply to
Doug Miller