table saw blade question

Page 3 of 3
Leon wrote:

1800 RPM. Zero IPM.

Not the very, very center. Think about it. There has to be a point where the rotary motion changes direction. Just ahead of that there has to be a point where it doesn't move at all. In Zen it's called the "still point of the turning wheel." -- Ernie

IMHO, the very very center as you describe it would have to be floating to not move. Perhaps on the atomic level when looking at the center atom and the electrons circling the nucleus. But then perhaps the nucleus is spinning also...
Now consider this, blade is spinning and directly connected to the arbor. The very very center still must have sides. Any real object will have sides. With the blade spinning along with the arbor, how does the center and its sides stay still?
What we may be quibbling about here is the definition of movement. Does movement require a distance to be traveled or simply to change direction although it remains at the same point?

Don't you guys know *NUTHIN*?!! That's why there's a _hole_ in the middle of the blade. There is *no* center, so the rest of the blade _can_ move.
<muffled guffaw>
Sure does.

Maybe RPM but feet per second (fps) is GREATLY increased and that is what we want.

Exactly correct. You should not back down from this statement.
The center of the blade...and the outer edge of the blade...all turn at the speed of the motor.
Have a nice week...
Trent

No they don't. They turn at the same RPM, but the outer edge travels a greater distance and greater speed to match the RPM of the of the center. If you think otherwise, then you're pretty dumb or you're trolling just for the hell of it.
Trolling. Most trolls, though, are not very bright.

The problem with his statement was that it did not pertain to what the other poster was referring to. The other poster was referring to outer rim speed of the 2 different sized blades, not RPM. What he had not considered was that the tooth speed on the 2 different sized blades would be different although the Rpm's were the same.

They are turning the same RPM,. but not moving at the same speed. Follow one tooth on the blade. At 4000 rpm, the 7 1/4" blade tooth will travel 1.43 miles in a minute, or about 86 mph. The tooth of a 10" blade will travel 1.98 miles/minute at a speed of 118.9 mph.

I'd say maybe. If you compare a Skil blade for cutting 2 x 4's to a Forrest WWII they are better. The intended end result from a circular saw differs from a saw designed for fine woodworking, thus different choices. You can get 10" crap also. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 00:19:04 -0400, Trent wrote:

Same frequency/revolutions - yes. Same speed - no.
The speed will increase in direct proportion to the distance from the center of rotation(radius) as long as the frequency(RPMs) remain constant.
The teeth on a 7.25" circular saw blade will travel at 72.5% of the speed of the teeth on a 10" circular saw blade when spinning at the same frequency(RPM).
-Doug

The circumference of a 7-1/4" blade is 7.25 * 3.14 = 22.77". The circumference of a 10" blade is 10 * 3.14 = 31.4".
On a 7-1/4" blade spinning at 3500 rpm, the tips of the teeth move at 22.77 * 3500 = 79,695 inches per minute.
On a 10" blade spinning at 3500 rpm, the tips of the teeth move at 31.4 * 3500 = 109,900 inches per minute

OK, show me a 7-1/4" blade that's the equivalent to a Forrest WoodWorker II, or any of the better blades from Freud or Oldham.
When you gain more experience, you'll understand the difference.
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:10:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

The speed of the blade is 3500 RPM...both at the inner core and at the outer edge.

Two different size blades...from the same manufacturer...and one is purposely not sharpened as well as the other?...because of its size?
Have a nice week...
Trent
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 00:17:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bruce) wrote:

Not really. I don't think this is being pedantic. Its simply being as accurate as possible...with definitions.

I think speed of many mechanical devices is pretty well defined. Its represented as Revolutions Per Minute (RPM's). Drills, table saw motors, etc. are rated in RPM's...sometimes along with other ratings.

Every point along that line moves at the exact same speed...measured in RPM's. A manufacturer of that device has no way of knowing the size of the device that you'll attach to it.

MEANINGLESS? LOL
I use a lot of caution when I put a router bit in a device that can go 30,000 RPM. Its not only NOT meaningless, its the standard used when purchasing router bits, saw blades, etc.

But at the same speed.
Have a nice week...
Trent
In rec.woodworking

Wanna argue over the definition of a thread now?
Sure. Currently I've been using a 7" blade designed for cutting sheet metal to cut plexiglas.
--
Be sure to check out Joe's and Betty's webpages...
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/kb8qlrjoe/index.html

what brand you using, and what kind of results do you get?
Traves