table saw blade question

Page 2 of 3

never
other
out
Where in Iowa are you? I am in Des Moines.
Digger

never
No. Pluto and Earth both rotate or circle the sun but Pluto does not circles the earth. It Circles the earths orbit which is an entirely different thing.

other
No, the outer dot goes around the inner dots path or orbit not the inner dot. Since both dots rotate in an exact relationship to each other neither rotates the other. The orientation of both dots is always exactly the same to each other. In order for one dot to circle the other, it has to be exposed on all sides of the other dot at some point.
Ok, I respect the opinion, but have one small wrench to throw in as long as we're not doing anything more constructive. If the Earth rotates on it's axis faster than does Pluto, then Pluto would in fact go around the Earth by your defintion because all sides of Earth would be exposed to Pluto before it completes it's outer orbit - right? The mere fact that the Sun sits between us is simply an obaqe object obstructiong the view. My last post on the subject, you get the last word. I just wanted to spur a little imagination this morning. On to woodworking again.
Don

assume
Sun.
very
that
does.
neither
same
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:28:01 +0000, Leon wrote:

Be careful - remember what happened to Galileo ;-)
-Doug

So, if there were no tree and you did not move but the squirrel did a pirouette, then your would have gone around the squirrel? Oh, you have to move? Well, if moving is required, then in relation to what?
(Do you have to flash the squirrel, to "expose yourself to all its sides"?)
OTOH, does a geosynchronous satellite "go around" the Earth?
BTW, a propos the saw blade speed questions: At the equator, Earth travels at approx 1000 MPH, while the geo satellites must travel at approx 7K MPH to keep up. So, maybe these sats do not go around the earth. Yet, their positions are often described in terms of their orbits. So, what, if anything, are they "orbiting"?
As with many things, it's all a matter of definitions. (Ask Bill Clinton.) What matters is the purpose of a conversation and that there are certain agreed-upon terms -- if there is a common interest in resolving an issue. For example, will we use English or French or Farsi or Thai?
If I want to say that "A going around B means this ...", then it can mean that. Or not.

the
the
No, the squirel simply truned in a circle and you stood still. For YOU to circle the "squirel", and not simply the location that the squirel is at you have to move around all sides of the squirel.

sides"?)
If you are refering to a satelite that remains in the same position above the earth such as one that a dish antenna gets it signal from 24 hours a day, NO, the satelite does not go around the earth. It never sees the other side of the earth. It simply goes in circles along the earths orbit but never circles the earth itself.

They obit the earths path but not the earth. To make that easier to visualize, imagine a circle that goes around the sun that represents the Earths path. Now leaving that visual circle in place but removing the Earth altogether, what is the satelite circling?. The circle that represents the Earths path. If they truely orbited the "Earth", contact with the satelite from any one specific receiver or transmitter would be lost at some point in the orbit.

Yes and or the wrong words used to describe an event and or situation.

What branch of science or math or what school of thought are you relying on for that statement? Or, are you making some claim on a true meaning of the English language -- that body of work that never changes and has no shades?
I may not know much about birthin' no babies or even about woodworking, but language has long made my world go around.
Consider that in normal discourse, a "plane" is flat. In some branches of science, planes are not flat -- well, at least not as "flat" is understood in normal, vulgar discourse. So, right and wrong usage depends on the context.
Consider that in the US Senate it is possible for May 15 to be the "legislative day" of March 10. Yet, outside the context of the US Senate, if I walked up to you on May 15 and insisted -- without more -- that it was truly "March 10", I'd be out of order, and even arguably incorrect. Alternatively, if I explained the context, I'd be correct and (in order) even if you remained confused.
Since satellites in geosynchronous orbit are (1) described as being so many miles above/relative to the _surface_ of the Earth, not its axis, and (2) described as being in _orbit_ at such altitude, then such satellites can be seen as orbiting/revolving around the _Earth_.
In sum, the only part of what you have written with which I disagree (if I understand you correctly) is the part that says that there is no reasonable understanding of the English language that can be employed to state logically that satellites in geosynchronous orbit actually orbit the _Earth_. Within the confines of the definitions you are implicitly employing, what you have written about "going around" makes some sense. You are saying that "revolution" requires "X", "X" is not present, so there has been no revolution. QED. While I can see that approach being used for the sake of a discussion in order to prove some additional point, I think it is a silly point of view standing alone. Yet, again, it is logical within the confines of your use of the language.
OT-enough?
Now, back to laying the new concrete floor in my basement for the arriving TS. What a messy job.

My statement, Yes and or the wrong words used to describe an event and or situation, was meant to infer that some statements and stories such as the squirrel story can be worded to lead one to think in one way but actually not make enough true statements to justify its direction that it may lead you.... HUH? LOL
Like in geometry, and I saw the squirrel story as a geometry puzzle, for certain conclusions there have to be absolute qualifiers. While the story indicated that there was rotation around an area, a second needed element was missing to prove a condition.
I was not referring to know it all.. LOL I was using common definitions for the words in that story.
New concrete floor for the new TS? The DeWalt? That is hard and heavy work too... Keep us informed on your progress and the arrival of the saw.
Here's a coincidence: A news story from this week about how the Earth revolves around the Earth -- even by your definition, if I get that correctly.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid &e=1&u=/space/101amazingearthfacts
Look at "Amazing Earth Facts" #51: "Does all of Earth spin at the same rate? The solid inner core -- a mass of iron comparable to the size of the Moon -- spins faster than the outer portion of the iron core, which is liquid. ... The [Earth's] inner core makes a complete revolution with respect to the rest of Earth in about 400 years."
wrote:

Thanks for asking. Yes. DeWalt 746. Probably pick it up next weekend. Still deciding on the DC. Planned on the 1HP Delta but read some reviews that were not great -- including stuff getting caught because there is a cross bar at the 4" inlet of the DC. (Then again, the 746 has a 2.5" DC hookup, but who knows -- maybe some day I'll get a planer.) Then I figured the 1HP Grizzly would be good -- good reviews and about the same price, though the specs are listed as lower (more honest?). But, for about $35 more, delivered, I can get the Jet 1HP which everyone seems to like. Jet is probably the choice. Already ordered the hoses, etc., from Grizzly. And the plastic cyclone garbage can lid.
What I am most looking forward to is making and using jigs. They are gadgets without the (unfair) negative connotation.
If the budgeting holds up, I will be getting a digital camera and then can try to post some stuff -- if they look post-worthy. Frankly, I have been, well in advance, quite humbled by the many website postings others have made and linked from here. Not just the depicted shops themselves, but the detail about the install and the projects. I have been helped and inspired immensely by these sites. Not only with how-tos, but how-not-tos and so many proper warnings about safety. I recently bought a face shield (works better than expected).

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid &e=1&u=/space/101amazingearthfacts
I think I saw that story and or 101 facts about the earth you never knew... Apparently the earth is molten 50 down from the surface until the inner core is reached and the solid crust is about 41 miles thinck..

figured
I still use the fan at my back blowing rowards the open double wide garage door method of dust collection. ;~) I have however had my eye on the New Jet canister models of DCers. I like the idea of being able to throw away the bottom bag instead if sturing up all that dust trying to empty the cloth bag. And then again a cyclone set up would be nice but it may take up more precious room in my case.

Yeah I have quite a few jigs myself. I have one design that I came up with myself about 2 years ago. It lets you cut dados with your router. You use the material that will fit into the dado to set the jig up for for a perfect fit. I sent the design into WoodSmith about a year ago....ironically they featured a very similar jig in their latest issue. Mine is rather compact compared to their version.

the
inspired
Speaking of being humbled...;~) Have you seen Tom Plamanns web page? Tom visits this news group regularly. He has the shop and does the work that we all aspire to. Have a look here if you have not seen his site. You will be impressed. The opening page will knock your socks off... ;~) http://www.plamann.com/sys-tmpl/door /

Let's say that the tree was a glass cylinder.
For me to go around the squrrel, I would have to see his left side, his back, his right side and his belly.
If he goes around the glass cylinder as I did, I would never see those sides.
Works for me.
me spaketh...

nope
--
McQualude

What a load of crap. A bit geometrically challenged, eh?

??? Nice little unprovoked outburst of hostility there Clinton. What happened? Did you zip before you tucked?
-Jack

It's a stupid argument generally posed by less than bright people trying to make others believe that they are thinking on some higher plane. Do you work for the news media by chance?

Sorry Clinton,
I did not realize that the problem of the squirrel and the tree was of such great concern to you. I'm completely unfamiliar with the arguments generally posed about it. In fact I had never known that this problem existed until this time. I'm afraid I'm much less worldly than you. I can't recall ever seeing a news article about this, but I'll look for them in the future.
-Jack

the

Ouuuuuwwwwoooo... Only did that one time when I was about 6. LOL

Not really. The very center doesn't move at all. -- Ernie

Actually the very center does move. Not in a circle but turns on its axis. If the center did not move, the blade would not move either.
You guys have way too much time on your hands.....It's easy if you are hunting squirrel and it is behind the tree, you throw a rock on the opposite side, the squirrel will come out away from the rock and you have an easy head shot. You don't have to move.

center
axis.