Table Saw Blade

A novice trying to find a 10" (or less) table saw blade with a 3/16 kerf. Only need 3/16" for special job making grooves. Don't want to deal with dado (wobble or stacked) or making 2 passes/groove. Seems like there should be a 3/16" blade available somewhere. Any suggestions as to where I might buy such blade would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..........

Reply to
SGM

You will probably not find this as a blade. It will be rare as a router bit. ???? buy two new identical thin kerf blades and space them apart with paper shims ???? Kind of a homemade dado.

Reply to
DanG

Mount your router in the router table with a 3/16" bit? I have made plenty of plywood shelves using a 3/4" router bit and a routing guide.

I have not seen a 3/16" saw blade. So what is wrong with a wobble dado since a regular dado seems to make a 1/4" kerf or wider?

Reply to
Jim Behning

HFT DADO Set has a 3/16" blade in the stack. the set is cheap enough and may be just what this fella needs. Bonus, he gets a dado set with shims.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Reply to
Bigpole

Ask around for a bent or warped blade. You could even bend or warp one yourself. It may be hit and miss to get it to be exactly 3/16, but I bet it wouldn't be too difficult. Kind of like a homemade wobble dado.

I know I have a few blades that have developed a wobble that causes a wider kerf, but I have never measured to find out how wide it was exactly. I just put them in the use them as frisbees or to build a clock pile.

Reply to
Robert Allison

But a targeted-width kerf IS a dado. Why do you want to make a dado on a saw, but not want to deal with a dado saw blade?

Slitting blades of various widths can be custom-made, of course; Router/shaper slitting blades are probably available, but will not likely fit your table saw arbor. Enco sells a 3/16 inch HSS saw blade, 6" OD, 1" center hole, which could do the job, but it's intended for a metal-cutting horizontal mill. Their part number is 370-5650.

Reply to
whit3rd

Pardon my confusion, but unless you're going to be using the blade in a dedicated saw, or for general cutting, you're still going to be faced with a blade change each time you need the wider kerf. So, I don't understand the reluctance to use a wobble dado or, as previously suggested, a stacked and shimmed pair of thin kerf blades.

If this is a "special" one time only job and a 3/16 router bit isn't practical for some reason, before buying a specially fabricated wide kerf blade, I believe I'd opt for a couple of less expensive thin kerfs. You'd wind up with a couple of extra blades for general purpose cutting after the job is completed.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Reply to
Lou Newell

Take a blade to a saw shop and have them reset the teeth

Reply to
Richard

Thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate the help. Not sure yet which way I am going to go on this but I know several of the solutions offered will work. Best wishes............

Reply to
SGM

Try a 1/8" blade, set the fence up so when you flip the board you cut the 1/16" for your 3/16" cut (that is assuming you are doing a groove length wise) if your crosscutting a groove a stop block with a 1/16 shim would work.

Mark

Reply to
Markem