Table Saw Blade

What is acceptable wobble for a TS blade? .005" or is that for the motor bearing? I just noticed my main TS blade isn't straight; like it got bent out of shape and doesn't appear to run true looking at it by eye sight.

TIA,

Thunder

Reply to
Rolling Thunder

I don't know what the tolerance is, but I do know that it is not visible to the eye. If it is a cheap blade, toss it, if it is a good blade, send it to Ridge Carbide Tools or Forrest for sharpening and flattening.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Acceptable is shat you are willing to put up with. For me, factory fresh .001". My arbor was .0005 when it was new.

Reply to
Leon

Hi Thunder,

Some of the better blades (Forrest, for example) are spec'ed at +/-

0.001" (0.002" total indicated reading). 0.005" for a blade isn't so bad. Unless you really know what to look for, it would be hard to see this amount of wobble by eye. If you can see it, it's bad.

Blades warp when they get stressed (thermally or mechanically). So, if your saw is poorly aligned and you regularly see burn marks, then don't expect your blade to remain very flat. Kickback is another great blade bender which can be avoided with good saw alignment. It just doesn't take much to warp such a thin steel plate.

You need to be able to distinguish between blade warp or other arbor/flange problems. A 0.005" wobble in the arbor or flange is unacceptably large indicating a serious problem (bent arbor, worn bearings, etc.). Arbor and flange runout should be less than 0.001" on a good machine. I have some video procedures which demonstrate how to check it:

's in the "Table Saw" section. If you don't mind watching all the other table saw related alignment/adjustments then this is where you'll find it. I'm working on seperating these (and other) sequences out with new voiceover for The Woodworking Channel and will also post them on my web site when ready.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com

of the TS-Aligner

Roll> What is acceptable wobble for a TS blade? .005" or is that

Reply to
ejb

OOPS!

Sorry about that, the correct URL is:

Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com

snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com wrote:

Reply to
ejb

Are you looking at it while running or just spun by hand. The thing to do is to cut a groove in a board and measure the groove. I have a blade that has a noticeable wobble when spun by hand though it cuts right on size.

Reply to
CW

I've a zero clearance and I'll give it a measure. The wobble is noticeable when powering down. I've not noticed the wobble until the blade is spinning down to a stop.

Thanks,

Thunder

Reply to
Rolling Thunder