Table saw Arbor wobble

Recently I notice a slight wobble in the 10" blades. If I have tried a few blades, some brand new and all have a bit of wobble in them. They cut ok but Im wondering if the wobble is something that can or should be fixed? Using a wobbly dado causes the saw to shake badly so it cant even be used.
Its a Powermatic 64 contractor saw.
Any thoughts?
trs80 wrote:

yup, find out why its wobbling !
I would check the arbor mounting and bearings. See if anything is coming loose or the bearings are badly worn .
Are you sure your blade is mounting correctly. ? that is , tightening up fully.
The dado blade is showing the fault more because of its higher weight and maybe distance from the supporting bearing.
I wouldnt use the saw in that condition myself.

You might see if you can feel any play in the arbor bearings. Un-plug the saw, pull the blade off and grab the yoke with one hand (you might have to reach under the top from the back) then grab the arbor shaft with the other and pull up down front back to see if you can feel any slop between the two . If so, it's time for bearings.
Did you have any accidents or kick-backs prior to noticing the problem?
Mike O.
no incidents with the saw. I first noticed the problem several weeks ago when I tried to used a wobbly dado. I try to see if I can feel play in the arbor. thanks

Get yourself a low cost dial indicator and check the flange and the arbor for runout. I have some video demonstrating how this is done.
http://www.ts-aligner.com/videos.htm
It's in the "Table Saw" section. The video shows how it's done with a TS-Aligner Jr. but you can use an ordinary magnetic base or make your own fixturing to perform the same tasks. The wobble might be caused by a lot of different things, some dangerous and some harmless. In either case, it will adversely affect the quality of your cuts. You might just find a dirty or dinged flange, loose arbor (all easy to fix), a bent arbor, or bad bearings (a bit more difficult). No telling until the measurements are made. If you have seen it on several blades then it's not too likely to be a blade problem (unless you have managed to do the exact same damage to all your blades).
Let me know if there is anything I can do to help or if I can answer any questions.
Thanks, Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com http://www.ts-aligner.com
trs80 wrote:

Is there a place online or other to find parts for a Powermatic 64? Specifically an arbor and bearings?
I looked on the Powermatic site and it came up empty when entering the part numbers provided in the manual or even by trying to find by description.
thanks

So, have you determined the problem? I went out to the Powermatic site. The parts section is run by WMH tool group (Jet, Wilton, Powermatic, Performax, Columbian, Polishmaster, Waxmaster). It looks like they have only 16 Powermatic items listed in the parts list. I found this information on the Powermatic home web site:
CUSTOMER SUPPORT All times shown are CST, Monday - Friday
Consumer Relations 800.274.6848 - 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Technical Service 800.274.6846 - 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM Distributor Hotline 888.804.7129 - 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM
Specific Powermatic-related Questions or Comments snipped-for-privacy@wmhtoolgroup.com
You might be able to order the parts over the phone. They may require you to buy them from your local authorized service provider. I don't know. Best to give them a call.
Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com http://www.ts-aligner.com
trs80 wrote:

if you go to any of hte parts listed they take you to a complete product like table saw. Their parts site is completely useless. It will require a call....thanks for the info.
I did find the problem. The wobbly dado was missing a sleeve insert that allowed it to fit properly on the 5/8 arbor. Luckily I had another sleeve and now hte wobbly dado works fine. I think the 10' blade runout I see has always been there. I could not induce any play in the arbor so I bet the wobble I see is probably within or close to spec since the saw cuts fine.
The original sleeve was probably dropped on floor during a saw blade organization project putting them on dowel hangers and swept up into garbage.

Glad to hear that you figured out the problem with the dado.
With regard to the runout on your other blades: if you can see it with unaided eyes, then it's WAY, WAY too much. Ideally, it should be no more than a couple of thousandths of an inch.
Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com http://www.ts-aligner.com
trs80 wrote:

ok.. good point. Its worth replacing the bearings to see if that improves it. Otherwise I really dont have any cutting problems.