Table saw accident

Thanks Karl, though I've been successful with the fence method, but there is alway the one time. Working as a commercial electrician after many safety meeting had it drilled into my head to not stand in front of 480 volt services when first turned on. They occasionally explode. So stand to the side or best option is have the apprentice do it. I thank you for the link as I prefer to keep the functioning parts of my body out of the danger zone.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Actually you do not have to be a moron to have an accident, and while all accidents are preventable every one will eventually die regardless of what preventative measures they take and 99% of all wood workers will have some kind of accident and it will be more likely the more they woodworking they, I don't give a damn who you think you are. A moron is the person that thinks that he is the safety GOD.

Reply to
Leon

It's a fair bet that, somewhere along his journey to doing woodworking, the guy in question got hurt from either never had been exposed to, or misunderstanding, a concept that wasn't precisely stated and/or detailed enough to rule out the inherent danger in his approach.

Problem with threads that deal with safety (and electrical issues) is that the devil is in the smallest details, and it often takes a good deal of discussing the innuendos and things that get left unanswered by virtue of the medium ... those details that will bite someone in the ass if left in doubt.

Reply to
Swingman

True and it isn't always the blade of a power tool that gets you. About 10-12 years ago a friend on our son was passing narrow strips of hardwood through a thickness planer when the lift mechanism failed and it threw a strip back at him. It entered his abdomen near his right side and the end went through him. Missed the important stuff, and the guys with him had enough sense to leave it in until the EMT's got there. He spent a couple days in the hospital and was released.

Would that ever happen again? No, but it is just an example of how feed paths on any tool can be as dangerous as a table saw.

Ron

Reply to
RonB

I will chime in with RonB in agreement on this point. As I said before, while I do think that the approach taken by "John" was indeed "boneheaded" (based on some of my own boneheaded experiences with allowing wood to "move around" while cutting it on the tablesaw), I do not think he is a moron. However, he did used to work as an employee of the local Woodcraft, so he *should* have known better. I just think he got too comfortable in his use of the tablesaw, had a momentary lapse of reason, and paid the price. I don't EVER allow myself too feel so comfortable with the machine that I don't slow down and think about what the hell I'm doing before I hit that button, and what my backup plan will be if something isn't working like I thought it would.

Reply to
Steve Turner