Table saw accident

Page 3 of 3
On 5/25/2012 10:50 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

just like any other table saw incident. (they're not accidents). Morons doing things they shouldn't be doing.
--
Steve Barker
On 5/28/2012 4:58 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

Actually you do not have to be a moron to have an accident, and while all accidents are preventable every one will eventually die regardless of what preventative measures they take and 99% of all wood workers will have some kind of accident and it will be more likely the more they woodworking they, I don't give a damn who you think you are. A moron is the person that thinks that he is the safety GOD.

True and it isn't always the blade of a power tool that gets you. About 10-12 years ago a friend on our son was passing narrow strips of hardwood through a thickness planer when the lift mechanism failed and it threw a strip back at him. It entered his abdomen near his right side and the end went through him. Missed the important stuff, and the guys with him had enough sense to leave it in until the EMT's got there. He spent a couple days in the hospital and was released.
Would that ever happen again? No, but it is just an example of how feed paths on any tool can be as dangerous as a table saw.
Ron
On 5/29/2012 7:03 AM, Leon wrote:

I will chime in with RonB in agreement on this point. As I said before, while I do think that the approach taken by "John" was indeed "boneheaded" (based on some of my own boneheaded experiences with allowing wood to "move around" while cutting it on the tablesaw), I do not think he is a moron. However, he did used to work as an employee of the local Woodcraft, so he *should* have known better. I just think he got too comfortable in his use of the tablesaw, had a momentary lapse of reason, and paid the price. I don't EVER allow myself too feel so comfortable with the machine that I don't slow down and think about what the hell I'm doing before I hit that button, and what my backup plan will be if something isn't working like I thought it would.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 5/28/2012 4:58 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

It's a fair bet that, somewhere along his journey to doing woodworking, the guy in question got hurt from either never had been exposed to, or misunderstanding, a concept that wasn't precisely stated and/or detailed enough to rule out the inherent danger in his approach.
Problem with threads that deal with safety (and electrical issues) is that the devil is in the smallest details, and it often takes a good deal of discussing the innuendos and things that get left unanswered by virtue of the medium ... those details that will bite someone in the ass if left in doubt.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010