Table Saw

Page 2 of 3

on 3/15/2005 12:29 PM Bob G. said the following:

Get some braces. You wouldn't want to develop carpal tunnel syndrome. <g>

Thanks for the info. Any particular things jump out at you with regard to quality issues on the saw?
I took a look at it when was in there for something else and it looked pretty decent to me and, as someone else commented a couple weeks ago, the fence and the blade are worth an easy $300 so that makes the "bare" right now worth about $550 since the combo is on sale right now.
I just bought the $650 version of the Sears saw. It was on sale for $600. I got another 10% off for being a Craftsman Club member. Sears had also sent me a flyer for 10% off during a preview day. They honored that also. total price ended up being $485 plus tax. There was also a mail in rebate included for a 60 tooth blade, a dado blade, and a dado insert. Haven't seen those yet, but they are on order. That seems like on hell of adeal to me!
After using the saw for a bit, I really like it.It's not a Unisaw, but it's plenty good enough for me. I've added a Incra TSIII system from my old saw and a thin kerf Forrest WWII. With this setup it cuts smooth as glass and is very accurate. I tested it on some old 2" white oak and had no problems with power.
In my opinion this is definately the best "hybrid" saw on the market and well worth considering.
If it's Crapsman I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole!

straight".. I was just curious since I do drive vettes
Your point was a good one.. and you did.. make it ...
And I happen to agree...
Bob Griffiths
Bruce Barnett wrote:

Powermatic had a Biesemeyer option once upon a time and I know Sears has them now. If it says Biesemeyer it's a Biesemeyer.
UA100

Okay. Thanks. I didn't know.

Yes. Lots of other folks will chime in with their opinions because this is one of our favorite topics to opine on. IMHO there are quite a few good saws out there today, but for the price range you're looking at you should go right back to Sears and look at their new saws. They've been reviewed very well, do not suffer the shortcomings your husband is frustrated by now, and seem to be a very good value. Watch for comments from Charlie Self - he's reviewed the new Sears saws for national publications and is one of the better informed voices here with respect to that particular saw. He's a sneaky one though, so make sure you keep him focused on saws...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

OTOH I just bought a Powermatic 66 used. It is pretty old but is 5 HP and still passes the nickel test. My saw was $1000 and it came with a dozen blades, a 8x8ft outfeed table and a big crosscut sled. While this saw didn't come with the joy of a new fancy box it is one of the best saws available on the market and for the price the 1023 is not even close quality wise. Thats my $0.02 W
I bought the 1023s a few months ago, no trouble what so ever......Have use it pretty hard.
Tony
--
A fanatic is one who won't change his mind and won't change the subject.
Winston Churchill

Oboe, Do you play the oboe or just like the beautiful music it makes when played properly?
As for the saw... If it stays put, the new Delta Hybrid (36-717) or the Jet (JWSS-10PF) will fit the bill nicely. The new Craftsman Cabinet saw (model #OR35504) is in the price range as well.
If he has to move it around frequently, say to God forbid, allow a car into the shop, or just doesn't use it that often, then the Jet Contractor saw (708300K) or the Delta Contractor (36-507X) will do nicely.
Dave
Hi, I've got the Griz 1023s, love the saw, no problems.
Tony
--
A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls.
George W. Bush

I play and enjoy!
Thanks for the advice --- Everyone! I will print this thread and let him read all of your comments. Lot's of good info here.
We live in the Seattle area. Does anyone have suggestions for stores that will have a good variety of brands in stock that he can check out in person?
--- oboe
"oboe" wrote:

Sure. Good of you to let him choose - you should always be careful about buying tools for guys. We know what we want! LOL. Anyway, there are several "contractor" saws out there that are very good and less than $1,000. I own a Powermatic 64A that I am more than pleased with. Jet, Delta and Grizzly also make pretty good saws. The a side benefit is, at least when I bought mine, that amazon.com sells them and had the cheapest price, plus shipping was free.
--
San Diego Joe

Reword that. We think we know what we atn, and if we make the choice, you can't get blamed.
Mine did the same for me about 13 years ago (on my birthday!), went from a Crapsman to a Powermatic contractors saw. She offered a Unisaw, and I just couldn't bring myself to say yes for the extra $500. I've kicked myself for the last 5 years, while my Powermatic is a great saw, I really wish I had gone with a cabinet saw. If you can swing a cabinet saw, do it.
Phil
oboe wrote:

Hi oboe,
My TS was sort of like your hubby's. I decided about a year ago to replace it and set out to research as much as I could on the best saw for me - a hobbyist with 16+ years experience. I wanted to buy a saw that would never need to be replaced. I would not say money was "no object", but I did not what to spend money for a "production" type saw like a Powermatic. I decided about $1K should get me a pretty good saw for my needs.
After reading a lot and following the threads here on the wreck, I decided on the Grizzly 1023SL. I have it now for about 3 months. It is an awsome table saw. I cannot think that your husband would not love it. The Shop Fox fence is first rate - on par with the Biesmeyer (I checked the Sears cabinet saw too and personally, I don't think that it compares that well to the Grizzly - opinions will vary).
It is a 3 HP saw so you might need to run a 220 outlet for it.
Once I ordered it, it took less than 3 days to get it. It does weigh close to 500 pounds, but you can get a mobile base to move it around if necessary.
Nice to treat your guy that way.
Lou

Get a cabinet saw. The dust collection alone will pay for itself over a period of years. You want to protect your husband's health, don't you? The $1000 limit is a bit short for a really good saw, but perhaps you can find a used Powermatic 66? A saw is "central" to a woodshop, and probably used for just about every project. Not a cabinet saw, but take a look at General 50-185M1 for about $650. It has a dust collector tray underneath. If he doesn't have a good DC, consider getting one.

For under $1000, I agree with many here. Go with the Grizzly. Can't beat it for the money and you can't beat it for your price range. Here's a link:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G1023SL
Neil
how much do you love him?....just kidding ....buy him a Delta Unisaw...nothing says I love you more than a Delta Unisaw....friends don't let friends buy anything else!
Mike