Table Recommendations?

Hi. I have to buy 7 - 2'x2' tables, 2 - 30"x42", and 3 - 24"x48" tables for a deli renovation. The tables I was looking at buying are in a restaurant equipment supply catalog, and if you know anything about those, they're just OK. Basically they are wood grained formica over particle board with "T molding" i.e. plastic molding around the edges. They come with a heavy black metal base that you screw into the top, and only cost $30 to $50 each. They're cheap, sturdy and look OK, but nothing to write home about.
I'm wondering if anybody makes or knows of a good place I can get nicer table tops. I could even buy the metal base alone from the supply store and mount the nicer wood tops to it. I can't really use tables with 4 wooden legs as some of these tables are for booths and others are in tight spaces. Also, the metal bases come with levelers on the feet, which will be needed for the slate floor.
The room is going to be a sunflower yellow with multicolor slate floors and earth-tone suede/vinyl booths. I'm not sure what kind of wood I would like here, either light or dark, but this seemed like a good place to ask around.
Thanks, dwhite
Dan White wrote:

Dan...
Almost any cabinet shop can make solid wood table tops in your choice of wood(s). They will be more expensive than the OTS tops; and may or may not be as vulnerable to vandals.
Location is a cost factor. It would help if you gave us a clue where you're going to need these things.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I'm in Northern Jersey.
dwhite
Solid surface make great table tops. Refinishable, stylish and food safe. Some SS manufacturers deliver custom widths if the wait time isn't a problem. I have made hundreds of these over the years are have been well received. In the case of a McDonalds, I even used the left -overs to make window sills. If the customer can get his/her head around the added cost (not too much much more than solid wood tabletops) I will walk you through building them. It's simpler than you think.
Rob
Remove BULL from my addy.

It costs more to build your own than it does to buy solid wood ones? Not sure I understand. I have so many other things going on I'd rather not build my own, but I do have a little time before I need them if making my own can come out nice and save money.
I'm all ears! :)
dwhite

Consider yourself mailed. *S*
Dan White wrote:

Hard maple should be available at reasonable cost and you shouldn't have difficulty finding a local shop. If you do have difficulty, e-mail me and I can provide some NNJ contacts, at least one of whom can even CNC carve a logo or business name into your table tops. (I can do that, too, but the shipping costs would be outrageous.)
You might find looking over web sites like <http://www.woodworking.org/WC/woodsampler.html helpful in discovering what you like. Bear in mind that some of the exotic woods can be fairly expensive - so don't lock in until you've discussed your choices with whoever's going to build your tables.
HTH
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I've got lots of butcher block tops in other parts of the store, so I don't want to use butcher block for tables, but I assume you're just talking about maple, not butcher block. My booth manufacturer is selling tables now and they wanted just over $1000 for the 12 tables I mentioned. I still have to find out exactly what I'm getting for the money though.
thanks, dwhite