Table extension slides -- should these be finished?

I'm near the end of the process of finishing a new white oak unfinished kitchen table using Waterlox. So as to more easily prepare and apply finish to the underside of the top, I have removed all the hardware, apron pieces and wood extension slide mechanisms.

The extension slides, stamped "Walter of Wabash", appear to be constructed of oak also and each slide unit has six pieces (the table opens up to add four 12" leaves).

My question: should the wooden slide mechanism be Waterloxed?

One reason it would seem to be a good idea is to reduce humidity-related swelling and shrinkage. A much lesser reason would be that the slides wouldn't be sitting there looking like unfinished wood.

One reason it would seem to be a BAD idea is that the slide mechanism might stick or otherwise not work as smoothly as it now does.

If I was to apply finish to the slide mechanism, would I just apply it to the exterior surfaces that can be seen when its closed, all surfaces that can be accessed when the slide is open, or should I dismantle the mechanism and coat all surfaces?

Reply to
Ladd Morse

If it was me, and you're getting what you're paying for here, I would disassemble, rub on a coat of waterlox and then when all parts are dry and cured I would paste wax the daylights out of them, re-assemble and love how it all works.

HTH, Scott

Reply to
Scott Brownell

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Any other folks want to chime in? :-)

Ladd

Reply to
Ladd Morse