Table edge solution?

I have an old cherry table top in the process of being refinished, and I have a problem. The top is made of lots of strips of cherry glued together and it has oval shape. What would be the best way to cope with the edge? Considering I have 20 pieces of end grain in different directions and angles, all subject to some tearout when routing and willing to soak up the pure tung oil finish that the top and bottom are getting. Even fine grit sanding is leaving a lot of very open grain and I am wondering if it might be best to use this as a feature of the table or just cover it up with a veneer.
JJ cheap teak in Texas
Jeremy wrote:

Sanding end grain to 400 or 600 grit will help. Blonde or Ultra Blonde shellac won't darken the end grain much and will cut down on tung oil penetrating and darkening. A clear grain sanding sealer could also help.
As always, test on some scrap first.
charlie b
Thanks
JJ
charlie b wrote:

Jeremy...
An e-mail to your address bounced. Care to send one that works?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA