Table Creation

I am building a table using 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" x X (meaning the height of each block is defferent but ranges from 2-1/5" to 5") blocks of walnut creating a butcherblock top. The top is 40"x80 so there are a total of

512 blocks (in each corner the "block" is 30" long to create the leg). My concern is movment in the wood ripping the table apart. What ideas do people have as to the construction or tips on how to glue up such a large butcherblock.

-Mark

Reply to
mark.mcmillan

This is a tough project. I wouldn't worry too much about movement.

I would glue up 4 10"+ wide by 2-1/2" slabs and then glue those up into

40"+ wide slabs. You'll have to calculate how many you need. Flatten those slabs. Personally I would do it by making 20" wide slabs and dimesnsion sanding them in my 24" wide belt.

Then slice the slabs into pieces to what ever thickness you want for the table top.

Glue up those slices into an 80" long tabel. Again, I would do a bunch of 10"(+/-) x 40" sections.

An optional approach would be to add some bores through these 10" sections, counter bore them and add some all thread to add some bearing strength.

After you have a piece 75" long shorthen the last two end slices by two blocks and add in the longer corner blocks for legs.

I think I would bore each 10" section a few times, each perfectly aligned and run all thread all the way through. The holes will be covered by the last section.

For all these steps use lots of clamping pressure and leave the calmps

24 hours. I would use bar clamps with handle cranks, they offer the greatest pressure.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com