T8 Shop light problem

One of my T12 96" fixtures ballast died. I Replaced it with a T8 96" electronic ballast and reconfigured the wiring per the diagram. Put in T8 bulbs and they lit but are dimmer in the center 1/3 than on the ends. Any ideas why this should be?

Gerald Ross Cochran, GA

He ended the job as he began it; fired with enthusiasm.

"
Reply to
Gerald Ross

Dave

Teamcasa

Make sure the solid state ballast is grounded well. At least one screw (or wire) from the ballast to the metal fixture. Check the MA (milliamp) rating. If for example the new T8 ballast is for 800ma bulbs, and the bulbs are actually 1500ma, it can cause this type of problem. Good luck & let us know what you find! Lyndell

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

How long have they been in service? Certain ballasts and tube combinations seem to require a beak-in period.

Personally, I like 48" T8's. They have been the most reliable set up I could find. They fire up in cold weather, are brighter in the cold, last longer than T12s, work with only one tube in a 2 tube fixture, ballasts last longer and failure is *by far*, less catastrophic. No leaking goop or exploding cases.

Tom in KY, a licensed master electrician for many stressful years.

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

You're right! They worked better the second day. Also I checked the grounding and the fixtures were not grounded, so I fixed that. As for 48", I didn't want to replace the fixtures, just the ballast as they go out.

Reply to
Gerald Ross